Thursday 30 April 2009

The transience of life

We have three flowering cherry trees in our front garden. Each year around this time they produce gorgeous pink blossoms. Just before we went away for a few days last week, I noticed that the blossom was on the trees and would very soon be in full bloom. We were attending a conference in Southampton from Tuesday until Sunday, and I was hoping that by the time we returned, the blossom would be at the height of its beauty. Sadly, I was to be hugely disappointed. When we arrived home early Sunday afternoon, much of the blossom had already fallen from the trees, and the lawn was covered with "pink snow"! The beauty of these three trees is extremely short-lived. They flatter to deceive.

I am reminded of some words from the Bible, in Psalm 103, where the writer states,
'Our days on earth are like grass; like wildflowers, we bloom and die. the wind blows and we are gone - as though we had never been here.' A stark reminder of our human mortality. There was a poignant reminder of this on the car radio this morning with the broadcasting of part of the memorial service for the 179 British service personnel who have lost their lives in the Iraq conflict.

The truth is, sooner or later earthly life will come to an end for all of us. It seems to me that two key questions arise. The first is this: how will I use the time I am given on this earth? The second key questions is: how do I respond to God's offer in Christ Jesus of life eternal?


No comments:

Post a Comment