Sunday 24 May 2009

Football highs and lows

For fans of Middlesbrough, Newcastle, Hull City and Sunderland, yesterday was a nerve-jangling, anxiety inducing and gut-wrenching experience. For two of the clubs, Hull and Sunderland, it was ultimately a day to rejoice, with both teams having retained their status as Premiership teams. For fans of Newcastle and Middlesbrough, however, it was tears and sadness as both teams were relegated to the Championship. With that comes not only a loss of status, but a tremendous reduction in income.

For people who are not really interested in football (like my wife!), it might be difficult to understand the raw emotions experiences by football fans at a time like this. But as the Match of the Day cameras revealed, the trauma of relegation can bring many fans to tears - it means that much to them. Though I have the privilege of being chaplain to Doncaster Rovers, Hull City is the team which I have supported since being a very young boy. I was therefore highly delighted that, although the team lost yesterday, they stay in the Premiership thanks to the fact that Newcastle were also defeated.

One of the most famous managers in my lifetime was Bill Shankley, who managed Liverpool to many triumphs. He once famously stated, "Some people believe football is a matter of life and death ... I can assure you it is much more important than that." Was Shankley right? Is football really that important? I am a football fan and I love the game, but even I know that there are some things which are far more important than football!

Listen to the words of Barry Miller, former captain of Doncaster Rovers, as he reflects on Shankley's comment: "I used to agree with this statement, but then I realised that there were more important things than football. What happens when I die? Is there a Heaven and Hell? Is Jesus real? I found answers to those questions, and now know that there is nothing more important than having a relationship with Jesus, and experiencing life in all its fullness (John 10.10), which includes being loved unconditionally."

Football is a great game, and I love being involved in football. But knowing Jesus is so much greater. Nothing is more important than that.


No comments:

Post a Comment