Thursday 13 August 2009

Where Mars got it right

One of my pet hates is TV adverts. It really annoys me when they seem to crop up every five minutes, and especially when the same old adverts are repeated time after time. I went round to watch some test match cricket at a friend's house a while ago (yes, it was on Sky, so most people couldn't watch it!) Every two overs there was an ad break, which kind of spoiled the match!

To be honest, some adverts are really inventive, and quite enjoyable the first few times. There are some which have become classics over the years. One which stands out in my memory is the old Mars bar advert, with the strapline, "A Mars A Day Helps You Work, Rest and Play."

I love my work, but I also look forward to times of "rest and play". I will shortly be going on holiday, and I'm really looking forward to it, especially as this year I will be spending it with more than 30 other members of my wider family! The fact is that when God created us, he created us to fit in with the rhythm of life. We are not machines which can run forever with no break; we were never made to be so. God created us with the rhythm of work and rest.

It's good to work, and it's good to rest. The problem comes when
we get the two out of balance. It seems that many people are so stressed and pressurised at work that they have little time for anything or anyone else. On the other hand, we can be tempted to avoid work as much as possible, and that, too, can be bad for our health and wellbeing.

I guess that getting the right balance is the key. Work hard, put your best effort into it. But don't let it take over your life. Remember the old saying, "No one ever said on his deathbed, 'I wish I'd spent more time in the office'". Make sure that you get your rest times, time to switch off, to enjoy being with family and friends, or time for yourself. And don't forget the One who blessed you with the gift of life.


No comments:

Post a Comment