Wednesday 22 September 2010

The remarkable "Young Ones"

BBC TV recently showed a remarkable series of 3 documentary programmes entitled The Young Ones, featuring six well-loved celebrities in their 70s and 80s spending a week living as though it were the year 1975. The six people concerned were Liz Smith, Sylvia Syms, Dickie Bird, Lionel Blair, Kenneth Kendall and Derek Jameson. They were brought together in a large house which was set out as if it was in the year 1975. The idea was to take the celebrities back to a time when they were in their heyday. By bringing back the memories of those times, the expectation was that “the body will follow where the mind has gone.”

A number of the celebrities were rather sceptical about the whole idea, and doubted that the week would lead to any significant physical or other improvements. They were each put through a number of tests prior to the week (physical and mental), which were repeated at the end of the week. I found the whole series absolutely fascinating. I had my own doubts, but was astounded to see how quickly each of the six very began to show improvements in their physical capabilities, some remarkably so. If you haven't seen the series, I strongly recommend that you do so while it's still available on BBC iPlayer!

One of the elements of the programme which particularly spoke to me was how the six were placed in an environment which was designed to present challenges for all of them. It was through meeting and often overcoming the challenges that they grew in confidence. Mention was made in the first episode of an experiment with rats. It was said that where rats were placed in an environment which was stimulating and difficult they lived, on average, 33% longer!

Speaking personally, I know that there have been times in my life when I have done my best to avoid difficulties and challenges! Yet the facts seem to suggest that actually facing them is, in the long term, good for us. And I begin to wonder whether part of the answer to the question “why does God allow us to go through hard times” has to do with the fact that he knows that by facing the hard times we can actually grow stronger. Whether that's right or not, the programme has certainly given me much food for thought as I contemplate the future and advancing years!

No comments:

Post a Comment