Tuesday 5 October 2010

Frustration and patience - the game of golf (life)

Golf fans from Europe and the USA were gripped this week by the goings-on at Celtic Manor, the Welsh home of this year's dramatic Ryder Cup match. Due to the heavy rain of the first couple of days, the match was carried over to an unprecedented fourth day, and what a day it proved to be! The final match saw Europe's Graeme McDowell up against the USA's Hunter Mahan. The overall match score was tied at 13.5 points each. McDowell needed to win his match to reclaim the Ryder Cup, which the USA had won two years ago. As the tension mounted, the nerves began to tell on Hunter Mahan, and McDowell claimed victory on the 17th green, much to the jubilation of the majority of the massed crowd of spectators.

I didn't see much of the match on TV. Unfortunately, as with an increasing number of sporting events, it was shown live on Sky TV, and so those of us without Sky had to either listen to the radio or watch the highlights on terrestrial TV later in the day (I could get on my hobby horse about this, but perhaps not today!) I happened to be paying a hospital visit when the match came to its climax, and I must admit to sitting in my car in the hospital car park for a few extra minutes as the drama unfolded. I'm not a big golf fan, but it was exciting to listen to.

I do own a set of golf clubs, but they rarely see the light of day. I have long since come to the conclusion that golf is probably the most frustrating sport to play. I have a friend from church, Denis, who is a member of a golf club and plays regularly. A little while ago he kindly (bravely?) invited me to a round of golf with him. I managed to eke out a spare few hours in the diary, and off we went. The reason I find golf so frustrating is that on some occasions I hit a fairly good shot and on other occasions I am embarrassed by my efforts! I did miraculously manage on one hole to get down in less shots than Denis. However, my inconsistency was show when I managed to get down in 5 shots on a par 4 hole (very good for a novice like me), but then on the very next hole took about 10 shots for a par 3!!

I was extremely grateful for Denis' patience with me. All the way round he offered encouragement and advice, without being overbearing. He commended my good shots and didn't criticise the poor ones. He was a good mentor and encourager, and I thoroughly enjoyed the day, even though I did suffer my fair share of frustration with my many wayward shots.

As I reflect on the experience, it seems to me that the way Denis guided and encouraged me in the game of golf is a good example to follow in the Christian way of life. The Christian life is a journey, but it is not one which we are called to walk on our own. When we commit ourselves to Jesus, we become part of his family, the church. It is his desire that we should be there to support, encourage and guide one another. Though I do get frustrated at times with church and some church people, I thank God for his church, and for the many brilliant friends who have helped, supported and guided me on my on the Christian journey. I pray that God will enable me to offer that same kind of help and support to others.

"Brother, sister, let me serve you..."

No comments:

Post a Comment