Thursday 2 December 2010

The personal touch

For many years now we have written a Christmas letter which we include with the Christmas cards which we send to family and friends around the country. It gives a brief summary of the year from the perspective of our family. Quite a number of our friends do the same, and I enjoy catching up on news in this way.

A couple of years ago a friend of ours, who is also a Methodist Minister, wrote in his letter that he had personally delivered Christmas cards to all his church members. I liked the idea, so decided last year to try and do the same! I just about managed it before Christmas Day.
This year I have an extra church for which I am responsible, so the list of visits has grown. It perhaps wouldn't be so difficult if all the church members lived nearby, but unfortunately that isn't the case.

I wrote the cards two or three weeks ago, and decided this Monday that I had better start delivering them if there was any hope of completing the task by 25th. My intention was to use the car this week to deliver some which were beyond walking distance. Unfortunately, the heavy snow of the last few days put paid to that idea: the car has hardly left the garage this week!
At least I have now delivered all the cards for people who live within reasonable walking distance. I must have walked quite a few miles over the past few days. It has been enjoyable, and I have been very grateful for my wellies, though tramping through fairly deep snow can be quite tiring.

Of course there may be some reading this who are thinking, "wouldn't it be easier to simply post the cards?" And in one sense, yes, it would. But the benefit of taking them out by hand is that it adds the personal touch. I get the opportunity to chat with folk and spend a bit of time with them which I might not otherwise have.


The heart of Christmas itself demonstrates the personal touch of God. In his great love for us, he stepped into our world.
The Message translation of the Bible puts John 1v14 like this, 'The Word [Jesus] became flesh and blood, and moved into the neighbourhood.' Jesus came to reveal the Father's love, and invite us to a personal relationship with God. Now that really is something worth celebrating this Christmas!

1 comment:

  1. As always keep up the good work. and a very
    happy and enjoyable Christmas to all your family.

    ReplyDelete