Thursday 2 February 2012

The lost son

One evening this week I travelled with a friend to the K.C. Stadium in Hull to watch the Hull City v Doncaster Rovers football match. Being a lifelong Hull City fan, and also the chaplain to Doncaster Rovers, I found myself sitting uncomfortably on the fence! Both sides were in need of the points on offer, City to boost their chances of reaching the end of season play-offs, and Rovers to help avoid possible relegation. Despite the very cold temperature, the match was quite enjoyable, even though we didn't see any goals. City had more of the balance of play, but couldn't get the ball in the net. Probably the Rovers' manager was more satisfied with the point earned.

As my friend and I walked towards the stadium for the match, my friend was handed a leaflet. I imagined that it would be an invitation to a night club or similar venue. In fact it was a leaflet giving information about a young man who had gone missing in Hull city centre on the evening of 28 January. As we walked on, we noticed other (mainly young) people handing out similar leaflets. We then approached the entrance to the park in which the stadium is situated, and a middle aged gentleman offered us a leaflet. When we said that we already had one, he said of the man pictured on the leaflet, "he's my boy". I sensed a real feeling of sadness and anxiety in the man. He looked so alone and concerned. I wish now that I had taken time to stop and chat with him. I have certainly been praying for him, his family and friends, and his lost son.

As I have been thinking and praying about that family, the words of Jesus have come to me often. He said, "I have come to seek and save the lost". He told a story about a lost son, and how the father desperately longed for his son's return. When the son eventually did return, the father threw a party to celebrate! When Jesus spoke about the lost, he was talking about those people who have never experienced in a personal way the love of God their heavenly Father. God the Father longs that all people might know and experience his great love for them.

Last Tuesday, many family and friends of the lost young man were out on a very cold night, handing out leaflets which they hoped would turn up some information. They cared so much that they didn't mind getting cold. I wonder sometimes whether those of us in the Church have such a concern for those who are 'lost'.

No comments:

Post a Comment