Friday 10 August 2012

Olympic reflections

I love the Olympics.  For as far back as I can remember, whenever it has been time for the Olympics I have fascinated by the various sports.  My favourite Olympic sport is athletics, and so I was highly delighted when I received an e-mail a few months ago informing me that I had been successful in the ticket ballot.  I felt extremely privileged one day last week to attend the Olympic Stadium and see the wonderful Jessica Ennis and the amazing Usain Bolt in action.  Truly a day to remember!

Sport seems to have been a major part of life in New Testament times.  The apostle Paul used sporting analogies in his letters.  For example, he wrote, "Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.  Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever." (2 Corinthians 9:24&25).  There is no doubt that sport can be a very positive element in life.  However, I wonder whether it can sometimes be given a position it doesn't deserve.

Katherine Grainger is a member of the British rowing team.  She came into the 2012 games with a record of having previously won 3 Olympic silver medals.  The big question on everyone's lips was, "will she finally win gold?"  Just before she set off in the final race with her rowing partner Anna Watkins, the BBC commentator stated of Katherine Grainger, "A life to be defined in the next 6 and a half minutes".  That comment certainly got me thinking!

Katherine Grainger did go on to win gold, her dream was at last fulfilled.  No doubt she will be known by many in the future as "Olympic gold medallist Katherine Grainger".  But does that ultimately define her life?  Brilliant though it must be to win a gold medal, is that really the most significant achievement in a person's life?  The vast majority of the world's population will never win an Olympic gold medal.  Yet each one of us can live lives of significance.  I am reminded of another of Paul's instructions, from 1 Corinthians 10:31, "whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."

I leave the final word to Usain Bolt, one of the greatest and most charismatic sportsmen alive, who, after his historic double triumph in the London 2012 games, tweeted, "I want to thank God for everything he has done for me cause without him none of this would be possible."  I say amen to that!


No comments:

Post a Comment