Monday 5 November 2012

It's a question of attitude

I was born in a post office.  Well, not exactly (though if I had, it would have given lots of material for jokes about a good delivery etc!)  I was actually born in a hospital, but at the time of my birth my family lived at a post office.  First my mum, then my dad ran the post office in the East Yorkshire village of Keyingham, and as a family we lived 'above the shop'.  They were good days, and I well remember being delighted at being able to earn a few pennies delivering telegrams around the village (long before the days of mobile phones and modern communications!)  

Perhaps that's showing my age.  Actually, I received a letter in the post this morning from the Department of Work and Pensions confirming that my retirement age has gone up to 66.  I have to say that receiving a letter about one's retirement age is a reminder that the years are passing, though I am nowhere near feeling ready for retirement yet!

Here in Leicester we have a lovely post lady.  She is small in stature, but always wears a big smile.  Even when the weather is grotty she is ready with a cheery greeting, and we really appreciate her.  Meeting someone with such a positive outlook can make such a difference; a positive attitude can be infectious.


I find it strange how people can be so different in their outlook and attitude to life.  For example, I know two elderly people who are similar in terms of age, health and other life factors, yet their attitudes to life are poles apart.  Whenever I speak to one, they tell me how happy and content they are.  Whenever I speak to the other, just about all they can do is complain about their lot!

Some years ago I came across a phrase, "attitude of gratitude", and have come to believe that it's a great outlook to have on life.  The truth is, even in the most difficult times of life there is always so much to give thanks for if we only take time to "count your blessings", as the old song encouraged us to do.  Over the years I have been privileged to meet some amazing people who, in times of great personal suffering, were still full of thanksgiving to God for what they saw as the blessings of life.  Sadly, I have also come across some who, despite having so much in terms of what life can offer, could only complain about what they lacked.

It's not about putting on a false smile all the time (like a synchronised swimmer!), it's about cultivating a positive attitude to life; it boils down to a personal choice.  I constantly ask God to help me to have a positive outlook, and to maintain an attitude of gratitude.  I don't always succeed (ask my wife!), but it's my goal.  I know what a difference our post lady makes, so why can't I do the same for others!



No comments:

Post a Comment