Monday 10 December 2012

A 'Tardis' moment

I did think about giving this blog entry the title "A déjà vu moment", but then the thought of the Tardis came to mind!  I must admit that Doctor Who is my all-time favourite TV programme; I confess that my memory of the programme stretches right back to its beginnings in the mid-6os, when William Hartnell played a rather elderly Doctor.  I do own a Tardis (bought for me by my wife Sue as a 40th birthday present).  Unfortunately, I've never managed to get it to work!

So why have I given this entry the title "A Tardis moment'?  As I mentioned in my previous blog, I spent a few days recently on a course at Cliff College in Derbyshire.  Cliff is a Bible College, and offers training in a whole range of Christian ministries.  During one of the break times, I was strolling along the terrace area at the back of the college.  I looked up at a stone railing, and was instantly transported back in time (in my mind, at least) some 35 years.


In my late teens/early 20s, I was one of a group of young people who were linked with the various Methodist churches in the area around where I lived.  Each year we would attend the Cliff College Anniversary weekend, along with thousands of others, young and old, from around the country.  There were various activities taking place over the weekend, and we always had a great time.  I seem to remember that we boys had to sleep in large tents, whilst the girls were allowed to sleep in less spartan accommodation!

So there I was standing on the terrace at Cliff a couple of weeks ago; yet in my mind I was in the same spot but the year was 1975.  A group of us were together near the concrete railings when a photographer from the local press came and took our picture.  We were delighted (I think) when the picture appeared in the local paper a few days later.  My memories aroused, when I arrived home from my course I decided to see if I still had the newspaper concerned, and lo and behold I managed to locate it (which was a miracle in itself).  Can you spot which one is me?


What great memories I still have of those days.  Indeed, as I look back over my life, I cherish so many wonderful memories; memories of people, events and places.  The gift of memory is one of the greatest gifts which God bestows on us.  Of course, I know that not all memories are good ones, but I thank God every day for the wonderful memories which I have, and my aim is that each new day I will be able to help create precious new memories.  I try not to hang on to bad or destructive memories, though I know that it can be hard to let go.  How much better to cherish the good and positive memories.

There's a fascinating comment from Gospel writer Luke as he unfolds the story of the birth of Jesus, which we will shortly be celebrating.  He writes, 'Mary remembered all these things and thought deeply about them.'  How the memories of those days must have stayed with Mary!  When, some 30 years later, she saw her precious son crucified, did she still treasure the promises given to her by the angel Gabriel?  Were the memories still strong?  I think so.

In the times in my life when I have found the going tough, one source of strength has been memories of the good times, and the wonderful people who have blessed my life.  I thank God for precious memories.  I may not own a working Tardis, but I can still travel back in time!

No comments:

Post a Comment