Friday 28 February 2014

The lie of insignificance

One of the most devastating and debilitating feelings a person can have is that their life is of no significance or value.  When those kinds of feelings inhabit a person's heart and mind it often leaves them feeling isolated and depressed, and can rob them of vision and purpose for the way ahead.

Feelings of insignificance can attack us through many different channels.  Sometimes they come through words which are said to us, perhaps a parent repeatedly telling a child, "you're no good" (I remember hearing about a pupil who achieved 99% in an exam and all their parents wanted to concentrate on was the 1% which was wrong!)  Perhaps when a person loses their job, or a relationship breaks down, they are led into feelings of failure and despondency.  It may be that this feeling of insignificance lies behind many of the alarming number of suicides in the UK each year.  I really wonder how many people struggle with this whole question - does my life matter?  The desperately sad thing is that this sense of insignificance is based on a totally false premise!

It seems that scientists are discovering more and more about the amazing universe in which we live.  I am grateful to a friend, Anne, who pointed out a link to a web-page which highlights a relatively recent discovery made via the Hubble Space Telescope.  The telescope picked out what appears to be thousands of galaxies which scientists calculate to be over 13 billion light years distance from earth: the most distant objects ever photographed!  The figures are absolutely mind-boggling.  What particularly caught my eye, however, was the headline on the web-page: 'Proof That We Really Are Insignificant.'

But is that really what these amazing images suggest?  My friend Anne responded as follows: "What's even more staggering is that in this whole incredible universe, God considers us to be totally significant and the object of his love!"  Absolutely!!  Of course, in comparison with the vastness of the universe (and there is so much of it which humankind hasn't yet discovered!), even this beautiful planet on which we live can be seen to be a relatively insignificant speck of dust.  Yet human beings are made absolutely significant because we are the objects of God's love.  The Creator loves his creation!

Whenever you are assailed by feelings of insignificance, remember that in God's eyes you are precious.  Let the words of Graham Kendrick's simple yet profound song soak into your being:

I’m special because God has loved me,
For he gave the best thing that he had to save me;
His own Son Jesus, crucified to take the blame
For all the bad things I have done.
Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord,
For loving me so much.
I know I don’t deserve anything.
Help me feel your love right now,
To know deep in my heart
That I’m your special friend.

Or watch it here.

Never believe the lie of insignificance!



No comments:

Post a Comment