Monday 22 September 2014

The thought that counts

When I set out on life as a Methodist Minister back in 1990 I understood that I was to lead an itinerant life.  In other words, Methodist Ministers know that after a period in one place they will move on to somewhere new.  Since leaving theological college, we have lived in Stoke-on-Trent, Sheffield, Doncaster and Leicester.  Despite having moved several times over the years, I still retain an affection for the people in the churches in which I served as Minister, and like to keep in touch with news from my former churches.

I was sad to hear recently that a couple I knew in one of my previous churches had lost their son to cancer.  I can't imagine what it must be like to lose one's offspring.  I decided to write a note to the couple concerned.  Having sorted through the cards in my possession, I selected a card with an appropriate Bible verse on the front.  I wrote a message expressing my sadness and condolences, and assuring the couple of our love and prayers.

It wasn't until I had a closer look at the whole card that I was shocked to discover that inside the card was printed the message: "Happy Birthday"!!  Fortunately I was able to use my scissors to cut the card in half, keeping the front, with the Bible message, and also my own hand-written message, and removing the inappropriate "Happy Birthday" greeting.

Writing the card took only a few minutes, but I hope that it brought at least a little comfort in a time of great sadness.  The Bible tells us that we should 'Be happy with those who are happy, and weep with those who weep' (Romans 12:5).  In other words, part of our responsibility as followers of Jesus is to be there for each other, whether in times of joy or sadness.  There are lots of ways in which we can do this, writing a note is just one.  It is only a small act, but can mean a great deal.

I was reminded of this when I returned from my three month sabbatical earlier in the year.  As my sabbatical ended, I received in the post a personally created "Welcome Back" card from someone in one of my churches.  Only a simple thing, but it meant a great deal to me (and I still have it in my office!)  Sometimes a small act of thoughtfulness can have a big impact.


No comments:

Post a Comment