Tuesday 21 April 2015

Why go to church?

There's an old tale of a conversation which goes something like this:

Mum: "Come on son, it's time to get up and go to church."
Son: "But mum, I don't want to go to church!"
Mum: "Why don't you want to go to church, son?"
Son: "Because I don't like going to church; it's boring, there are some very strange people there, and what's more, nobody there likes me."
Mum: "But son, I'm afraid you have to go to church."
Son: "Why do I have to go to church, mum?"
Mum: "Because you're the vicar!"

That story came to mind because I have been thinking this week about the statement which I have heard a few times over the years, "I don't need to go to church to be a Christian."  And of course, in a literal sense that must be true, for some Christians find themselves unable to attend church due to illness or infirmity.  There are also some who live in countries where Christians are forbidden to gather together to worship.

Yet there are still some people who claim to be Christian believers who could, if they so chose, be part of a local church, but have decided not to be so.  There may be a number of reasons for their choice, but there are those who would say that they are quite happy living their Christian lives without the need for involvement with church.  So are they right?


My mind has been prompted along this line of thought through reading Henry Blackaby's book, 'Experiencing God Together.'  This is a follow-on to his previous book, 'Experiencing God.'  In the book Blackaby addresses the issue of what it means to be a follower of Jesus in the context of a local Christian community (i.e. the church).  He makes the point that the life of Christian discipleship was never intended by God to be lived in isolation from others.  Christians are called to help, encourage and support one another, something which we cannot do if we never meet together or get to know one another. We have been studying the book in fellowship groups in one of my churches.  I was particularly struck by one paragraph in Blackaby's book:

'A church is not just a place where you can go to be comforted, but also a place where you can give comfort and support for others who are hurting.  Some have told me, "I don't need others' support."  But let me ask you this, "Do others need your support?"'

A good question indeed!









No comments:

Post a Comment