Tuesday 22 December 2015

The cracked toadstool

Apologies to anyone reading my blog who has already heard me talking about my cracked toadstool!

I realise that envy isn't really a good characteristic to have, but there is a sense in which I really do envy those people who have the gift of using their hands creatively, either to make things or to fix things.  If anything goes wrong in our house, Sue is usually much more able at fixing it than I am, and despite my best efforts I was never any good at practical lessons at school (woodwork, metalwork etc.)  I have to console myself with the knowledge that God gives each of us different gifts and talents!

One of my churches held a Christmas Market a few weeks ago.  It was wonderful to be able to welcome many members of our local community into our church building.  The dance group which uses our hall put on a display of dancing; there was lots of scrummy food on offer, and many other opportunities to buy Christmas gifts.  There was also many opportunities for conversation.

As I wandered round, I came across a table containing lots of beautiful wooden objects which had skilfully been created by a friend called John.  I knew from past experience that John was good at making things, and he especially enjoys working with wood.  As I looked at the table, one object in particular caught my eye; it was a toadstool, which John had caringly shaped and polished.

When I pointed the toadstool out, John seemed a little sheepish, and reluctant for me to have it.  The reason?  Down one side was a large crack, which had apparently happened when the wood had dried out.  Despite the crack, I was really drawn to the toadstool, and I said to John that I was sure I could use it in a sermon.  'If you can use it in a sermon,' he said, 'I'll give it to you!'  I took advantage of John's generous offer, and also bought another item which I have used as a Christmas decoration.


Since that time, I have used the toadstool in two school assemblies and also at a carol service!  I'm not absolutely sure why, but I find it strangely attractive.  For some reason it stood out from all the other objects on the table, perhaps for the very reason that it was imperfect.  It now sits on a bookcase in my study, and I look at it often.  To me, at least, it speaks very powerfully of the Christmas message.

As God looks at the wonderful world he created, his heart breaks.  He sees the mess we've made of life, both as a whole human race and each of us as individuals.  We live in a 'cracked' world, and we are all 'cracked' people; far from perfect, far from God's intention for us.  Of course, God would have every right to wash his hands of us and discard us because of our many imperfections.  Yet in his great love he did the opposite, he came and lived among us, ultimately laying down his life so that we might know forgiveness and new life.

Every time I look at that cracked toadstool I think of our cracked world and I think of my cracked life, and I thank God for his amazing love.  That's why we celebrate Christmas.

’The people walking in darkness
    have seen a great light;
on those living in the land of deep darkness
    a light has dawned.’    
Isaiah 9:2




No comments:

Post a Comment