Saturday 16 April 2016

The facts about the EU?

I have found myself rather disgruntled by matters political this week.  Incidentally, those who say that religion and politics don't mix have got it wrong.  As Mahatma Gandhi said, "Those who say that religion has nothing to do with politics don't know what religion is."  Authentic Christian faith will impact every area of our lives and how we relate to the world around us, and that includes the world of politics.

The lesser of this week's frustrations came when the voting form for the local area Police and Crime Commissioner came through the door.  All we have been given is a voting form with several names on it and which political parties they represent.  I really can't see why this has to be a party appointment.  Surely the best thing is to do is to decide which candidate is likely to be most suited to the role and then vote for him/her?  I guess that many people will vote merely along party lines, and we may not therefore end up with the best candidate being elected.  After trawling the Internet, I did eventually find some information on the candidates, but I wonder how many other people will be inclined to do the same?

My main frustration this week has been in relation to the forthcoming EU Referendum, in particular with the Government's decision to spend over £9million of taxpayers money on producing a leaflet setting out their arguments in favour of staying in the EU; this at a time of severe austerity.  I have witnessed for myself the consequences of austerity in terms of the withdrawal of important local community services.  Surely that money could have been put to better use?

The Government argues that many people have asked for some of the "facts" about Europe in order to come to an informed decision.  Fair enough, perhaps, but the leaflet actually produced is 50% glossy pictures (more like a brochure for a new car), and contains a lot of conjecture rather than fact.  I have written to my local MP to complain and I am one of over 200,000 people who signed an online petition protesting against this waste of money, but I feel very frustrated.

I have to say that currently I am in the "don't know" camp as far as the EU Referendum is concerned.  Like many others, I long to see some of the real facts in the debate.  I have talked to people whose opinions I trust and respect, but that's been no help at all because I have friends equally convinced on both sides of the argument!  (I did wonder whether on the ballot paper, as well as there being the "In" and the "Out" options, there should also be a "Shake-It-All-About" option, as even those in favour of staying in the EU can see that it is in need of a good shake-up!)


Before I finally cast my vote, I am determined to try to discover as much as I can about the implications of Stay or Leave, and to listen to the debates.  And I am encouraged by the words of James in his letter in the New Testament, 'if any of you lack wisdom, you should pray to God, who will give it to you; because God gives generously and graciously to all.'  I could certainly do with a bit more wisdom!




Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is.
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/m/mahatmagan135298.html

No comments:

Post a Comment