Monday 18 July 2016

Sieze the moment!

My favourite genre of book is biography; I thoroughly enjoy reading about people's lives.  One book which I have just finished reading was by actor Frank Williams, most well known through his role as the vicar in the hugely popular TV series, Dad's Army.  It was an interesting read, as Williams outlines aspects of his life story, including how his Christian faith has impacted his life.  Naturally, there is a significant section of the book which deals with his time as a member of the cast of Dad's Army.  I was surprised to read that the final TV episode was broadcast as long ago as 1977.  That said, the programme seems as popular now as it ever was, and a new Dad's Army feature film was released in cinemas this year.  I vividly remember watching the series when it was originally shown, and I still enjoy the innocent humour of the programme (they really don't make them like that anymore!)


It is clear from Frank Williams' account that the actors who played the main characters in the series developed close relationships over the years, creating a family-like bond, as they spent so much time together during the process of filming, both on location and in the studio.  Even after the final series was aired in 1977, the friendships which had been built up remained as the various actors went their separate ways.  One poignant aspect of the book, however, comes when he relates how, over the years since the series ended, various cast members have died.  Only Frank Williams himself and Ian Lavender remain of the main cast members from the original series.  The sense of loss is clearly described.

I woke up one morning recently to the realisation that if my dad had still been alive it would have been his 97th birthday.  I rooted through an old photograph album and found a lovely photo of my Dad flanked by me and Sue.  I don't mind admitting that a few tears came to my eyes as I reflected in the memory which the image evoked.  Although my dad died almost 25 years ago, there are still moments when I keenly feel his absence.  Indeed, reading Frank Williams' book reminded me that my dad and I used to enjoy watching the programme together back in the 1970s.

As a read Frank Williams' book and also reflected in my dad's birthday and the feelings it evoked, I was reminded again how vital it is that we cherish every moment we spend with friends and loved ones.  Human relationships, however wonderful they may be, cannot last forever.  It is so important that we value our relationships while we still have them, and take time to speak and demonstrate to others how much we love and value them while we still have the opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment