Friday 14 April 2017

The Cross says it all

I led a school assembly recently, and talked with the children about symbols.  I showed them a number of well-known symbols and asked the children if they recognised them (their favourite, not surprisingly, was the yellow M of McDonald's, probably one of the most recognisable symbols in the world!)

I then showed them a X and asked them what it symbolised.  On a birthday card it can mean a kiss, or love; on a journey it can symbolise a crossroads, with pointers showing the way.  The children were very good at coming up with various ideas.  However, when I said that in a school book a cross against a sum means that the answer is wrong, the teacher in charge was quick to jump in and say that crosses aren't used in that way in the school anymore!

I didn't have time later to ask the reason why, but I did wonder whether the school feels that it isn't good to tell children that they've made a mistake.  If so, I feel it's quite sad, because one of the lessons we all have to learn in life is that we sometimes get things wrong.

The Bible talks about something called sin which, put simply, is when we act in a way which is against what God wants for us.  St Paul makes it clear that sin affects us all, 'everyone has sinned' (Ephesians 3.23).  The big problem with sin is that it separates is from God; it builds a dividing wall between us and God.  Added to that is the reality that there's nothing we can do to restore that broken relationship.  We can't, but God can (and did).

'God loved the world so much that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him may not die but have eternal life.' (John 3.16).


Today is Good Friday, so-called because by his death on a cross Jesus paid the price for our sin; he took it on himself.  He gave his life so that we can know forgiveness and eternal life through him, and a living relationship with God.  The cross is the symbol of God's amazing love for all humankind.

Earlier today I joined with 100s of other people at the "Leicester@the Cross" event in the city centre.  Through drama, readings, music, dance and song, we were reminded of the significance of this day.  As I stood in the crowd, I glanced down at my feet and noticed that on the paved area where I was standing had been painted a small red cross.  I'm not sure what the cross was there for, but to me it became a poignant reminder that the cross is personal.  Jesus died for ME.  And for YOU.

What's more, it's Friday, but Sunday's coming!




No comments:

Post a Comment