Thursday 21 June 2018

Never


In my last blog I wrote about the death of my 95-year-old mum.  A few days ago, we held a service of thanksgiving for her life.  It was a truly uplifting occasion, as we celebrated mum’s life, the person she was, and the precious memories which she leaves in our hearts.  At the same time, there was a natural sadness at our loss.

Mum had indicated her wishes for the service some time ago.  She had chosen the hymns and Bible readings, and also the members of the family whom she wanted to take part in specific ways.  She had indicated that she wanted me to read one of the Bible passages (Psalm 84) and also to share a few words of testimony.  I didn’t find it easy, as at times the emotion of the occasion did touch me, but I was pleased to be able to fulfil mum’s wishes.  Mum always said that the twin pillars of her life were “my faith and my family”, and both elements were combined in the service.  It was a tribute to mum that all her grandchildren (apart from four who are currently overseas) had travelled from around the UK to be at the service.

I chose to read Psalm 84 from a Bible which my mum and dad had given to me back in 1979 (I think it may have been when I passed my final accountancy exams).  Mum had written an inscription inside the Bible, which included a Bible verse, Joshua chapter 1 verse 9:

‘Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.

That verse has always been precious to me, especially during the tough times which I have encountered over the years. During the past 10 months we have lost not only my mum but also my much-loved younger brother, Phil.  Phil’s death especially, at such a relatively young age, was a rather bitter pill to swallow.  It seems that a significant number of people known to me are currently experiencing really hard times, especially with health issues.  I visited someone fairly recently who has been experiencing a number of debilitating health conditions and as a consequence was struggling in their faith.  Being a follower of Jesus does not exempt us from the hard times.

One of God’s promises which we need to hang on to is found in Hebrews chapter 13 verse 5, ‘I will never desert you, nor will I ever forsake you.’  Ney Bailey, in her book Faith is Not a Feeling makes the important point that, “The word never does not convey the force of his statement.  In the original language the word used is called a “triple negative,” and there is no single-word English equivalent.  In essence, God was saying, ‘I will never, no never, no never leave you or forsake you.’”

A truth to cherish.


No comments:

Post a Comment