Thursday 9 August 2018

Michael or Jo?

Michael Johnson was one of my sporting heroes.  When he was at the height of his athletic ability he was practically unbeatable at either 200 or 400 metres, becoming world record holder at both distances and multi Olympic champion.  Though he retired from athletics some years ago, the memories remain.  He regularly appears on the BBC, giving informed comments on athletic events. 


When, a few months ago, I recognised that I needed to lose some weight and also regain a level of fitness, I decided to have a go at using the Couch to 5K app, a programme designed to build up fitness over a nine week period so that even a novice runner should be able to run 5K by the end of the programme.  The programme offers a choice of four celebrity coaches who offer support and encouragement via a podcast to those who take part in the programme.  When I saw that one of the coaches was Michael Johnson, I naturally chose him as my coach.  All was going well until, during the fourth week of the programme, I developed a very painful calf injury which meant that I had to stop using the Couch to 5K programme.

The injury took quite some time to heal, but I recently decided to give the programme another go.  This time, however, I decided to go with another of the celebrity coaches, radio DJ and TV presenter Jo Whiley (I have since reached week five, so far without injury!)  Though quite a bit of what Michael and Jo say as you walk or jog is similar, there is a marked difference.  Michael Johnson was an athletic phenomenon, and although I did a bit of athletics in my day (even running at Crystal Palace Athletics Stadium!) I was a million miles from Michael Johnson's standard.  Jo Whiley, on the other hand, freely admits that she used to hate running, and that she never saw herself as a runner.  However, through perseverance and commitment she has come to quite enjoy running.


Though I enjoyed being coached by a sporting hero, I find that there is a great benefit in being coached by someone like Jo Whiley, who fully understands and empathises with those who are finding the going rather difficult.  When she says "I know what you're going through", you know it's true.  When the going gets tough, whether with exercise or any walk of life, to have someone alongside you who has had similar experiences can be a real encouragement.

One of the benefits of jogging (apart from the health aspect) is that it can give you time to think.  I have been thinking about the difference between being coached by a former world class athlete and being coached by someone who didn't really like running.  The latter can more readily empathise with the ordinary man or woman who struggles with exercise.  My mind then went on to think about how we know that God can empathise and get alongside us because in his Son, Jesus Christ, he actually stepped into our world and became one of us.  He lived an earthly life and, as the writer of the New Testament letter to the Hebrews states, he 'understands our weaknesses since he had the same temptations we do'.

How great to know that God is not a far-away, remote and uncomprehending figure, but one who has himself experienced our humanity, and promises that as we open our lives to him he will be with us always, and will encourage and strengthen us when the going is hard.






1 comment: