Tuesday 25 February 2020

Too late?


Much was made in the media (and continues) of the recent sad death of television presenter Caroline Flack, who reportedly took her own life at the age of 40.  This was headline news for several days. 


I was interested in a pertinent and thought-provoking comment from a Facebook friend:

“Following the very sad death of Caroline Flack, the BBC newsreader tells viewers, 'if you've been affected by this...'. What a pity they don't seem to expect viewers to be affected when they report hundreds dead in war or famine, when boats full of desperate migrants sink, when schoolchildren are shot by the dozen..”

In the days since Caroline Flack’s death, various ‘celebrities’ seem to have been falling over themselves to say how much they loved and valued Caroline and what a great person she was.  I wonder how many of them ever took the time to tell her that while she was still alive.  This question was prompted by a funeral service which I took recently.  One of the deceased’s family gave a moving tribute, and spoke of his love for the person who had died.  He went on to reflect that he wished he had taken more opportunity to express these feelings while his loved one was still alive.  It’s so sad when we fail to take such opportunities when we have them.  Once a person has died, it’s too late.

Tomorrow is Ash Wednesday, and officially the start of Lent.  I have been pondering on how to observe Lent this year.  One thing I have decided is to stop using social media during the period.  I have already removed Twitter from my phone, and actually feel much better for it already!  Although there are some good and positive things on Twitter, there is so much that is negative, vindictive and abusive.  In fact, I may keep off Twitter for good, apart from making the occasional post.

I am also making a commitment to do what I can to avoid speaking negatively about people and being critical; in other words, to observe St Paul’s instructions, ‘encourage one another and build each other up’ (! Thessalonians 5.11).  Despite what the old ‘sticks and stones’ proverb says, words can be tremendously hurtful and discouraging.  I want to try to use my words in as positive and helpful a way as I can.

I do wonder whether Caroline Flack really know how loved she was, and whether, if she had done, it might have influenced her actions.  Who knows how many people we can influence in positive ways by our kind, loving and encouraging words?

No comments:

Post a Comment