Sunday 21 June 2009

Lessons from a "long distance" runner

I must start by offering an admission. I did manage to complete the Leeds 10K "Run For All" today, but 10K probably can't truly be classified as a "long distance", and the speed at which I covered the course couldn't realistically be classified as running - more like a gentle (and at time rather laboured) jog! Thus the title of this blog entry could be said to be a little misleading. Nevertheless, I did learn a few lessons along the way.

The first is that if I am ever going to achieve my ambition of running the 10K in under one hour I need to be a bit more serious about my training regime. Having said that, my training was a bit hampered this year with calf problems, though thankfully they didn't cause any problems during the run today.

One of the mistakes which some athletes make is in setting off at too fast a pace. They then pay for it by struggling to find the energy to get to the end of the race. Far better to pace oneself. I decided to pick out a runner ahead who was going at roughly the same pace as I wanted to go, and try to stick fairly close to them. I soon spotted someone who seemed to fit into that category, and all was going well until, about 2K into the race, she suddenly pulled up and started walking! That reminded me how important it is, when we are choosing people whose example we might want to follow in life, that we choose the right kind of people!

Overall I thoroughly enjoyed the event. Having said that, there were a few times along the way (usually on the uphill sections) when my body was telling me in no uncertain terms that I ought to stop jogging and take a breather. The temptation to stop was almost overwhelming at times, but thankfully I managed to keep plodding. Looking back over my Christian life, I know that there have been times when I have really struggled, and it has been hard to keep going. But thank God that with his help, and with the support of Christian friends, I have kept going! What's more, God's promise is to those who keep going to the end there will be waiting for them the "crown of life" (James 1.12).

The truth is, I almost certainly wouldn't have completed the 10K run if I had been on my own. But I was running with thousands of others, and many more were cheering along the way. We all need those who will support and encourage us, and journey with us. And we all need to be encouragers to others.

I'm really pleased that I completed the run today. What chances for under an hour next year? We shall see!


No comments:

Post a Comment