Wednesday 10 June 2009

Message from a coke can

Sue and I have recently returned from a superb week's holiday in the Trossachs area of Scotland. It must be almost 30 years since we last crossed the border to venture into Scotland, but from our experience this time, it certainly won't be as long again before we return!

Almost without exception, the who people served us in shops and cafes etc. were really friendly, polite and welcoming. One sometimes hears talk of the animosity which some Scots people feel towards the English, but we didn't come across it during our holiday.

Some of the scenery was amazing. We felt that it was a privilege to be there, surrounded by such natural beauty. The place we stayed in was almost on the edge of a loch, and was surrounded by hills which were covered in a rich variety of vegetation. Even the fact that our mobile phones couldn't get a signal was something of a blessing! In a place of such beauty we didn't find it hard to turn our thoughts to the One who brought it all into being: in the wonder of creation we see the hand of the Creator.

There were, of course, a few of the infamous Scottish midges around, though fortunately for me they preferred Sue, so I got off reasonably lightly!

We didn't do a lot of travelling around while we were there. The main purpose of our holiday was to rest and relax, and we took a supply of books to read. We were fortunate in that the place where we were staying had very good sports & leisure facilities, so we had several games of tennis, and Sue made good use of the indoor swimming pool.

On a few occasions we ventured out to explore the countryside, both on foot and in the car. I carried my camera with me when we went out, though it seems to me that however good photographs turn out, they never seem to capture the intensity and raw beauty of the real thing. On one occasion I stopped the car to take a few photos of the area we were passing though. Just as I was putting my camera away and was about to walk back to the car, I glanced down and saw something which was not at all in keeping with the beauty and remoteness of that scene - a coke can!

I must admit that people throwing litter about is one of my pet hates - but especially so in a place of such outstanding beauty! How little we sometimes care about the world around us, how little we sometimes appreciate the beauty and wonder of God's creation.

Thank you, Scotland, for a great week. Thank you God, for your amazing creation. Help us all to appreciate and take care of it.




No comments:

Post a Comment