Friday 19 March 2010

United we stand

Each year, the Churches Together in Central Doncaster group organises a series of Lent talks in the period leading up to Easter. Generally, an invited speaker comes to lead the meetings, on a theme of their choosing. This year we have had several different speakers, all from the Focolare movement ("an international movement, inspired by the gospel, working for unity.."). Naturally enough, the theme they have chosen has been unity.

I had been asked to lead the opening part of last night's meeting, and I began by quoting from John Wesley's sermon on "The Catholic Spirit", which deals with the subject of Christian unity. Wesley quotes the words of Jesus to his disciples, "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.
By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." In other words, the identifying mark of those who follow Jesus should be the love that they show towards one another. Yet Wesley goes on to admit, "Even amongst Christians it is difficult to fine people who love one another in obedience to Jesus' command."

One of the hymns I had chosen for us to sing was a hymn by Charles Wesley (John's brother), "All praise to our redeeming Lord". I chose it because it speaks of the call of Jesus to walk with him and with one another in love. However, I have always had a problem singing one of the verses of the hymn,:

Ev'n now we think and speak the same,
And cordially agree;

Concentred all, through Jesu's name,

In perfect harmony.


The big problem with that verse is that I've never experienced "perfect harmony" in any church I've ever been involved with! However, I have come to realise that I can sing it, not because it is yet accomplished, but I sing it in the hope and prayer that we Christians will pray and work to achieve Jesus' desire for us - to love one another as he loves us.

As I came to introduce the hymn at last night's meeting, I was all set to mention the difficulty I have with this verse, when I suddenly realised that in the Baptist hymn book (we were meeting at Doncaster Baptist Church), the verse is omitted! Maybe the editors thought it was too difficult to sing!

Yet, as the speaker said at the Lent meeting, as we draw closer to Jesus, so we draw closer to each other. In a divided and hurting world, there is a tremendous need for Christians to demonstrate the love of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment