Monday 29 March 2010

Knowing the One to give thanks to

The writer of Psalm 106 begins his psalm with these words, "Praise the LORD. Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever."

Last week I had a very interesting conversation with someone who holds an influential business position. It transpired that our work backgrounds are very similar - we both trained, worked and qualified within a professional office of Chartered Accountants. That's where our "career paths" took very different routes: he is now a CEO of a very well know local organisation, and I am a Methodist minister!

As our conversation progressed, he asked what led me to become a minister. The answer is really very simple: I was responding to God's call on my life. It was whilst attending a conference in Sheffield in around 1985 that I felt very firmly that God wanted me to offer for the Methodist ministry. I many ways I felt ill-equipped for this major life change (and sometimes still do!) However, over all the years I have been a minister (I'm now in my 20th year), even when things have been really hard, I've known that God was with me to give me strength and guidance. Despite my many shortcomings he has been gracious!

In answer to the question about what led me to become a minister, I talked about God's call on my life, and about my faith in him. As I talked about my own personal faith, the person I was speaking to stated, "that's something I don't have". Having been brought up in a Christian family, God has always been part of my life; I can't imagine life without him!

As the conversation progressed, the man talked about how much he enjoys his work, how he has a lovely wife and children. He seemed genuinely happy with his life. And yet, I thought to myself, how sad, so much to be thankful for and he doesn't know the One to thank!

All good things come from our wonderful God - it is good and right to give thanks to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment