Monday 28 March 2011

Help, my internet isn't working!

Sue and I managed a 2 day break in our flat in Scarborough at the end of last week. On the Friday, the weather was sunny and fairly warm for a March day. We enjoyed some outdoors time, and even had lunch sitting on a picnic bench outside a farm shop. Saturday was a rather different story, as the clouds had rolled in and a sharp easterly wind had sprung up. We did actually have lunch outside on the Saturday as well, but it was a very much quicker affair, and we soon moved on before the cold wind took too much toll!

One of the first things I normally do after returning from time away is turn on the pc and check my e-mails (sad but true!) I was shocked to discover that the internet was not working, so no e-mails and no surfing! I eventually worked out that the problem wasn't with the pc but had something to do with the connection between the Service Provider and the router. Even our computer guru friend Simon couldn't fix it! This kind of thing has happened on occasions previously, but usually for only a few minutes, or a maximum of a couple of hours, at a time. I began to fret - what on earth do I do without internet access?

To cut a long story short, communication was restored to normal mid-morning today, but it had been almost 4 days since I had been able to access the internet. I'm still not fully sure what caused the problem, but the main thing is that normal service has been resumed! I do wonder if we have become too reliant on our pcs?


This episode has also got me to thinking about the changing methods of communication in our modern society. I know that a lower percentage of my communication is done face to face, or even on the telephone, than in years gone by. I send and receive many e-mails each day. Whilst they are a very convenient method of easy communication, they have their limitations. There is no doubt that in recent times we have seen a communication explosion. But the question remains: are we losing the art of real communication?
Is that part of the reason why many human relationships seem such a struggle?

I believe that my relationships with my family and friends, and most of all with God, are the most important part of my life. Communication is a vital element of any relationships, and communication involves both parties. I am resolved to play my part.

No comments:

Post a Comment