Wednesday 6 April 2011

Putting off the inevitable

I must confess to being someone who tends, at times, to put off the things I'm not looking forward to doing. I can be a bit of a procrastinator. One example is mowing the lawn, which I really don't enjoy. The winter period is helpful in this respect, as the lawn lies fairly dormant and there's no need for me to feel guilty that the lawnmower stays in its shed. But winter doesn't last forever, and spring, wonderful as it can be, brings with it the inevitable consequence of the lawn waking up from its hibernation and beginning to grow again.

I suppose that I've not done too bad to have been able to leave it until April before the lawnmower comes out. The last couple of weeks, with some lovely sunshine, have seen the lawn grow at a rapid rate. I realised that it would soon get totally out of hand - it was beginning to look like a meadow. So when I arrived home late this afternoon out came the lawnmower, and the job has been done. Until next week, at least!


My Dad was a gardener in his early working life. He always had a great knack around the garden, and he loved to spend time there. When Sue and I were first married he used to come round and help us with the garden from time to time. Sadly he is no longer around to help us. Dad seems to have passed on his "green fingers" to my four sisters, though for some reason the gift hasn't really come down to me.


There is something about gardening which I do like, and that is the fact that when you have worked in the garden you can see what you've done; usually your hard work makes a noticeable and pleasing difference. Yet there is also a reluctance in me to get out there, and the weeds keep growing. Maybe I will turn over a new leaf (pardon the pun) and make a commitment to spend some regular time in the garden. Maybe also I will try to be better at facing up to the things I don't like doing. After all, one can't put off the inevitable forever!


In our churches we are reading through Mark's gospel during the Lent period. Today's reading was from chapter 8 (of 14) and already the shadow of the cross has appeared, as Jesus began to prepare his disciples for what lay ahead (his arrest, suffering and crucifixion). As the time drew closer, it must have been a great temptation for Jesus to try to put off what he knew was coming. Yet he resisted the temptation, because he was totally committed to fulfilling the Father's will. He knew that his sacrificial death would open the kingdom of heaven to all who believe in him. He truly is our example and inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment