Monday 6 June 2011

Overpaid prima donnas?

Generally speaking, professional footballers haven't got a great reputation. Long gone are the days when footballers earned very little, travelled to the games via public transport, and were very accessible to the general public. The phrase “overpaid prima donnas” can often be heard cast in the direction of the modern day pro footballer. Perhaps in some cases the description may not be too far wide of the mark. Much as I love the fame of football, I struggle to explain how any sportsman can be worth £200,000+ per week.

For the past 4 years or so I have been privileged to be chaplain to Doncaster Rovers FC. I am a lifelong football supporter, being brought up by my Dad to support Hull City. Being Rovers' chaplain has meant that I haven't been able to see my “first love” (in footballing terms) all that often, but it has nevertheless been a thoroughly enjoyable experience. Apart from anything else, being chaplain to a football club has enabled me to see something of what goes on “behind the scenes”.

Being chaplain has given me the opportunity to meet some great people at the football club; not just the playing staff, but also the management, admin and support staff. I have to say that the rather negative image which I mentioned above has proved to be wide of the mark where the Rovers' playing staff are concerned. They are a great bunch of lads, and it has been my privilege to get to know them and spend some time with them.

Doncaster Rovers is a relatively small club, which is keen to get involved in the local community. The players give of their time to visit local schools and other organisations. Three of the players, along with other Rovers' staff, have recently travelled to South America to scale the Andes to the Inca Trail, at high altitudes of over 15,000ft; they will walk over 62 miles of rugged terrain on the roof of the continent. Their aim is to raise £50,000 for the NSPCC, and this during their “holiday” period. A great example of public figures using their influence for good through personal commitment. And a great reminder that we should never try to “tar everyone with the same brush”. If you want to discover more about the trek, click this link: http://www.roversincatrek.co.uk

Jesus said, “it is better to give than to receive”. He knew that, paradoxically, it is in giving generously that we receive; I am sure that the members of the team who are undertaking the trek will find that by giving of themselves they gain far more then they give.

No comments:

Post a Comment