Monday 31 October 2011

Good news is for sharing

I was privileged to be invited to attend and take part in the recent unveiling of a Memorial to honour the Aviators of the former Doncaster Aerodrome. The Doncaster Aerodrome first opened in 1934, and operated until its eventual enclosure in 1992. It was situated on the site of the current Lakeside development; it is now quite difficult to imagine what the landscape must have looked like when the aerodrome was in operation.

I found the ceremony quite moving. A number of people with current or past connections with the world of aviation were present.
The event was arranged through the South Yorkshire Aircraft Museum, which is based in nearby Dakota Way. The arrangements for the day were that we were to meet at the museum, before being taken by vintage transport to the site of the unveiling. I must admit that, although I was aware of the Museum's existence, and had often walked by it on my way to the Keepmoat Stadium, I was very surprised by what I discovered. There is much more to the Museum than I imagined. I described it to one fellow attendee as being rather like the Tardis - a lot bigger on the inside than on the outside! Certainly worth a more leisurely visit.

On later reflection, I wondered whether the Aircraft Museum might be one of Doncaster's "hidden gems". Perhaps if it was more widely publicised, a greater number of the local population might go along and be as pleasantly surprised as I was?


As I continued to ponder this theme, into my mind came the words of Jesus to his disciples (part of the teaching known as "The Sermon on The Mount"),
'You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.' Good news is for sharing!

It's so sad when we Christians, who have been given the task of sharing the best news ever (of God's love in Christ), seem so often be reluctant to do so. We live in a world where many people are hurting, lonely and anxious. Bad news seems to bombard us all the time. As one Old Testament character once said,
“We have good news, and we shouldn't keep it to ourselves!"

No comments:

Post a Comment