Thursday 6 October 2011

The Prodigal Returns

As I start to write this blog, I am conscious that in around 12 hours' time I will (God-willing) be at Manchester airport, where my brother, Phil, is due to arrive after a more-than 24 hour journey from New Zealand. It is around 2 years since he left the UK with his family to take up the role of National Director of Church Army New Zealand. Although we communicate regularly via facebook, e-mail and the occasional Skype conversation, it will be good to see him face-to-face, and catch up with things.

On Sunday morning coming, Phil is due to take the morning service at
Priory (I thought that we'd better make him work for his keep!); 3 of my 4 sisters are coming over for the service, and the other one will join us for lunch afterwards. One of the blessings of my life has been that of being part of a close-knit family. I am really looking forward to us being together, and there will be other opportunities during the 2 weeks Phil is in the UK.

One of the saddest development in British society during my lifetime has been the breakdown in traditional family life. The security of my childhood experience, with Mum, Dad and siblings sharing normal family life together (eating, outings, church, holidays etc) is not the experience of many today. I am not suggesting that there is only one model of family life, but the truth is that there are so many lonely people around, many of whom are desperate for love and companionship.

One of the images of church used in the New Testament is that of family. Of course, no church is perfect, but over the years I have witnessed many people, who were going through really tough times, finding strength to carry on through being embraced by the love, support and encouragement of fellow Christians. I have often heard people say, "I don't know how I would manage without my church friends". I and my family have experienced the care and support of fellow Christians many times over the years, and despite its failings, I love being part of the church family.

A statement I hear on occasions is, "I don't need to go to church to be a Christian." Of course in a strict sense that is true, as Christians in some countries in the world today are not ALLOWED to attend church, and that doesn't stop them being Christians. My observation, however, is that by not meeting regularly with our fellow Christians we can miss out in such a big way. Not only do we absent ourselves from the love, support, and nurture we might receive from others, but we deny ourselves the opportunity to support and care for others. The Christian life is about giving as well as receiving. If we never meet up with our fellow Christians how can we serve them?

No comments:

Post a Comment