Tuesday 13 December 2011

The gifts that money can't buy

When it gets to this time of the year, there’s one thing I really don’t look forward to. It’s certainly not Christmas itself - from my childhood years, I have always loved Christmastime. Undoubtedly the many happy childhood Christmases I experienced will have influenced my outlook on the season. It was a real highlight of the year when, as a family, we gathered round the Christmas tree on Christmas Day morning and opened our presents. My parents weren’t rich, and I don’t suppose the presents we received were of great monetary value, but they were warmly welcomed and greatly appreciated.

I love lots of things about Christmas: the giving and receiving of presents, the time with family and friends, the special Christmas services, the lights, decorations, cards and shared meals. But the one thing I really don’t look forward to is trying to choose a present for my wife, Sue. If she doesn’t really appreciate a gift, she isn’t very good at hiding the fact - and most of the gifts which I have presented her with over the years seem to have fallen into that category! I’m still not sure what I will get her this year - any suggestions greatly welcomed! Come to think of it, maybe a book on “How to hide your true feelings!”

The media is full of stories of financial cutbacks, and how families and individuals are finding it hard to cope with financial pressures. A recent survey suggested that around 1 in 5 people in the UK expect to have to borrow money to pay for presents. I wonder whether we’ve missed something somewhere along the line. Is the amount of money we spend really the important thing?

Charles Swindoll, in his book “Growing Strong”, suggests that some gifts we can give this Christmas are beyond monetary value. Some of his suggestions: Mend a quarrel; dismiss suspicion; tell someone, "I love you"; give something away - anonymously; forgive someone who has treated you wrongly; turn away wrath with a soft answer; visit someone in a nursing home; apologise if you were wrong; be especially kind to someone with whom you work. He finishes by suggesting: Give as God gave to you in Christ, without obligation, or announcement, or reservation, or hypocrisy.

Often the most precious and appreciated things in life really are those which money can’t buy.

No comments:

Post a Comment