Sunday 16 September 2012

Accepting who I am

What a summer of sport it's been!  Even some of those who are not really into sport have been enticed by the action which has been taking place over the past few months.  One of the events which seems to have really taken off in a big way this summer has been the Paralympic Games. The profile and media coverage given to this year's Paralympics has been significantly greater than on previous occasions. 

Wikipedia describes the Paralympics as being 'a major international multi-sport event, involving athletes with a range of physical and intellectual disabilities, including mobility disabilities, amputations, blindness, and cerebral palsy.'  One of the discussion points which has arisen out of the Paralympics has been society's response to people who have some form of disability.  As the nation has watched some amazing athletes compete in the Paralympics, many have been inspired by the courage, dedication, skill and perseverance on display. 

One of the most well known of the Paralympic athletes is South African Oscar Pistorius.  I love his quote, 'You're not disabled by the disabilities you have, you are able by the abilities you have,'  This is a challenge to us all: instead of focussing on the things we can't do, we would be far better off focussing on what we can do, and do it to our very best.


The truth is that in some way every human being at times feels that they have a 'disability'.  It may come when we know someone who is particularly gifted in some way and we beat ourselves up because we could never match their abilities.  I remember many years ago when I was in a particular church; the minister was a fantastic preacher and I longed to be able to preach like him; another friend had a great gift in sharing the gospel in a natural and effective way, and I longed to have that gift.

I have learnt over the years that we need to accept that God has made each person unique; it is no good wishing we were someone else.  God loves us just the way we are!  I have been encouraged recently by some words from John Cole, leader of the New Wine Christian network, and as I can't put these thoughts in a better way, I reproduce below some of his words.  He is talking about the inspiration of watching the Paralympic athletes:  

"Some were born with disability, others suffered it through accident or illness, but none allowed that loss to be the controlling factor of their lives. All were determined not to be defined or limited by their loss, but wanted to maximise their potential in their given state of life. I find that inspires and rebukes me. In keeping with many others, I don’t find it difficult to allow myself to think I am hampered by things that have happened in my past, or to be paralysed by envy of others around me who are more gifted than I. Consequently I become limited by wishing I was different. One legacy that I want the Paralympics to leave in my life is that I accept who I am, and really live my life to the full, becoming the person God has created me to be and achieving all that God has created me to do."

An important lesson for us all!


No comments:

Post a Comment