Saturday 22 September 2012

O to have a Tardis!

As I write this, it's a Saturday evening, and it's just over an hour until Doctor Who time!  I must admit to having been around when Doctor Who first arrived in the TV screens back in 1963, and have been enthralled by the series ever since.  1963 seems such a long time ago, and yet the series, now nearly 50 years old, appears to be as popular as ever.  It's certainly a favourite of mine.  I am the proud owner of a Tardis (sadly, not full size nor operational!) as well as two sonic screwdrivers (and even they don't seem to be as effective as the one used by the Doctor!)

I have often though how great it would be to have a Tardis which really works, one in which you could travel through space and time. Actually, I'm not particularly bothered about travelling through space; nor do I get excited at the thought of travelling forward in time.  I would love, however, to be able to travel back in time.  I think it would be great to travel back and witness some of the great events of history, and see how people lived in days gone by.

Perhaps even more exciting would be the opportunity to relive some events which I have experienced personally: my first day at school (even though I cried all the way there); the day I gave my life to Jesus Christ at the age of 5; my wedding day; the birth of our three children, and so many other special events.  It would also be wonderful to be able to travel back and talk again with family and friends who are no longer alive.

There is another reason why I would like to travel back in time: like most people, I have regrets.  There have been times when by my words or actions I have caused hurt to others; times when I have acted selfishly or impulsively and lived to regret my course of action.  Wouldn't it be good to be able to travel back in time and put things right?  The reality is, of course, that we can't.  Once the unkind words are out of our mouth we can't retrieve them; once the thoughtless e-mail has been sent, we can't pull it back; once the ill-judged action has been performed we can't undo it.

So if we can't go rewind and start again, what steps can we take?  For one thing, we can own up to what we have done and say sorry.  Saying sorry is rarely easy (just ask Nick Clegg), but it can make a big difference if we really mean it.  Secondly we can determine not to repeat what we have done.  Our saying sorry means little if we constantly repeat the offence.

None of us are perfect, we all make mistakes and do or say things which we regret.  Thank God that the Christian faith speaks of the possibility of forgiveness and the opportunity to start again.







No comments:

Post a Comment