Tuesday 29 January 2013

Song of the Nightingale



“Sometimes I cannot believe that this is my life – these four metal walls, all of us corralled like cattle, the pain, the hunger, the fear.  All because of my belief in a God who is risen, who charges me to share my faith with those who do not yet know him.  A God who I am forbidden to worship.  I think back to a question I have been asked many times over my months in prison: ‘Is your faith worth this, Helen?’  As the guards continue on their rounds, I whisper the answer: ‘Yes’”  [Helen Berhane]



For some years Sue and I have supported Open Doors, an organisation which seeks to support and resource Christians around the world who are persecuted for their faith.  It can be difficult for those of us who live in the ‘free’ West to grasp how much persecution and suffering is experienced by Christians in many parts of the world.  Some years ago Open Doors highlighted the case of an Eritrean gospel singer, Helen Berhane.  Helen was a member of the Rema church, one of several minority Evangelical Christian churches not officially recognised by the state of Eritrea and heavily persecuted. She was arrested in 2004, shortly after she released an album of Christian music, after refusing to sign a document pledging to end all participation in evangelical activities, which included her music. She was detained at a military camp, with no possibility of contact with her family, and was denied legal representation or medical care.



I remember praying for Helen at the time.  I was delighted to discover recently that, subsequent to her eventual release, Helen had written a book detailing her experiences, Song of the Nightingale.’  In some ways the book makes rather grim reading, and it is clear that Helen suffered terribly at the hands of her captors.  She and the other prisoners were incarcerated in metal containers, with very little light or air; the temperatures rose dramatically during the day and dropped just as dramatically at night.



Time after time Helen would be hauled before her captors and urged to sign a document promising that she would no longer tell others about her Christian faith.  The promise was given that if she signed the document she would go free and her suffering would be over.  It must have been a very great temptation, yet each time she refused, despite knowing that her refusal would lead to yet another severe beating.  When she was eventually released from prison into medical care she was almost on the point of death.  She was subsequently granted asylum in Denmark.



The book title, ‘Song of the Nightingale’ builds on the image of a nightingale which continues to sing even though it is caged; so Helen continued to sing songs of praise to God in her metal prison.  She encouraged others, and continued to share her faith.  The book is so inspiring and challenging, and as I read it I wondered how I would have responded in such a situation.  I am humbled by the strong faith of people like Helen Berhane, and pray that I may have the courage to live out my faith in every situation.

As a footnote, I was saddened to learn that in 2010, Helen Berhane was refused an entry visa to the UK, even though she had been invited to speak of her experiences of persecution in Eritrea at a series of meetings in Great Britain.  An early day motion expressing regret about this decision was supported by only 41 MPs.

No comments:

Post a Comment