Monday 21 January 2013

The ginger influence



It’s a reality of life as a preacher that quite often a relatively minor experience can trigger in one’s mind the thought “there’s a sermon illustration!”  Just such an occurrence happened on Sunday morning.

One of the images of church which can be found in the New Testament is that of ‘family.’  When a family is functioning as it should do, it is natural that family members enjoy spending time in each other’s company.  I have found it quite sad on those occasions when, not long after a church service has ended, the building has emptied; clearly the people seem to have been more eager to get home to their Sunday roast than to spend time with their church family!  Thankfully, that is a fairly rare occurrence these days.

Quite a number of churches serve tea & coffee at the end of services.  It helps to encourage people to stay and chat, and gives an opportunity to build relationships.  It can also be a useful way to make visitors feel welcome.  Last Sunday after the morning service I went through for a coffee.  I noticed with some surprise that the ginger biscuits were kept in a separate container from all the other biscuits.  The importance of this is made clear by a large notice on the container: “Ginger biscuits only, keep separate.”


I was informed that the reason the ginger biscuits are kept separate is that if they are put in the same container as all the other biscuits, they will flavour the others with their noticeable ginger flavour.  Sermon illustration alert!!

Whether we like it or not, our lives do have in influence on those around us (negatively or positively).  We all know the saying, “one bad apple can spoil the whole bunch.”  It was probably long before the term ‘bad apple’ came into common use that the apostle Paul warned, ‘Do not be misled: “Bad company corrupts good character”’ (1 Corinthians 15:33).

I thought that the anti-smoking advert from a few years ago, which majored on the theme of parental influence, was rather clever.

But of course we can be an influence for good.  Albert Schweitzer is quoted as saying, ‘Example is not the main thing in influencing others. It is the only thing.’  I think that Paul was very brave when he wrote to the Christians at Corinth, Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ.’ (1 Corinthians 11:1)  As a parent and as a church leader I have been very conscious of my calling to try and set a good example and to be a positive influence.  It’s an awesome responsibility, and one which I haven’t always fulfilled as I would have liked.

I’m not too fond of ginger biscuits myself, but I am thankful for the reminder they have given me to think about the influence I have on others.

No comments:

Post a Comment