Monday 9 September 2013

A Tardis experience

A couple of interesting happenings from last weekend:  The first one occurred after the Sunday evening service which I had led in a local Methodist church (though not one where I am minister).  An elderly gentleman approached me afterwards and said, "It's nice to have a younger preacher".  I must confess that it's rather a long time since anyone referred to me in those terms!  I quite enjoyed the moment, although a number of those to whom I have reported the comment have found it very amusing.  I have always thought that age is in some ways a very subjective thing - as someone has pointed out, there is a sense in which you are as old as you feel.  Most of the time I still feel fairly young, even if my body sometimes tells me otherwise!

Yesterday was a busy day ("a packed programme" as the Two Ronnies used to say).  One of the events which Sue and I attended was an open garden to which we were invited by a lady who attends one of my churches.  Once each year this lady and her husband open their garden to raise money for a cancer charity.  We worked out that we could just about fit in a visit, so after our morning service at church, and then calling in at a farewell "do" for our local curate, we set off for the house.

We had not been to this property before, so didn't quite know what to expect.  The house is situated in a pleasant road, perhaps about a mile from where we live.  The house was attractive but didn't look anything out of the ordinary for that area.  We heard voices coming from the back garden and made our way round the side of the house to find the entrance to the back garden.  When walked through the side gate and looked at the garden we were absolutely amazed.

I have been a fan of Doctor Who since the programme first hit our TV screens back in 1963.  I've lost count of the number of times over the years when a person has entered the Tardis for the first time and exclaimed "It's bigger on the inside than it is on the outside!"  


Sue and I had a 'Tardis experience' when we entered this back garden.  We were shocked to discover its size, and the fact that it contained a small lake with ducks and geese (not to mention a life-sized model giraffe, elephant and gorilla!)  From the front of the house it was impossible to imagine what lay behind.

This may sound a bit corny, but as I've reflected on that experience it has occurred to me that coming to know God could be described as a Tardis experience.  The more we come to know God, the more we realise that there is so much more to discover.  I've been blessed to know God since I first put my faith in Jesus Christ at the age of 5.  But I know that in some ways I've only just scratched the surface of the depths of God's amazing nature and character.  The Psalmist invites us to 'taste and see that the Lord is good.'   When we do 'taste' of who God is, it only gives us an appetite for more.




No comments:

Post a Comment