Monday 2 December 2013

A Nativity set with a difference

Sue and I have visited Israel/Palestine (often called 'The Holy Land') on a number of occasions, though we haven't done so for a few years.  It is a very special place, unlike any other I have visited, not least because it is the land where Jesus himself walked.  Two or three times I have led parties of pilgrims to the Holy Land.  As well as visiting many of the sites which are associated with the Bible and the ministry of Jesus, I have also made a point of giving opportunity for members of the group to meet people who live in the land, and particularly local Christian believers, both Jews and Arabs.  It is a real eye-opener to meet with those who live in the land and hear their perspective on life.

One of the places I have visited is the Bethlehem Bible College.  Their work, not only in helping students gain a greater understand of their faith but also in serving their local community, is a real inspiration.  Recent years have been difficult for the people of Bethlehem, particularly the Christian population.  There was a time when Christians were in the majority in the town, but over the years many have felt the need to leave Bethlehem and seek refuge elsewhere.  For a time tourist visitor numbers dropped when people became anxious of the situation in Israel/Palestine, although tourist numbers now seem to be on the increase again.

One of the ways in which people in Bethlehem earn a living is through selling souvenirs.  Bethlehem Bible College itself has a gift shop which helps to support their ongoing ministry.  I happened to be browsing the gift shop website recently when I noticed a nativity set which was rather unusual, certainly different from any which I had seen before.  It wasn't cheap, but I persuaded myself that by buying the nativity set I would be supporting the work of the college.  I ordered the set about a week ago, in the hope that it might arrive in time for Christmas.  Earlier this afternoon, as I was pulling into the drive after a trip out in the car, a Royal Mail delivery van arrived with a large parcel.  I couldn't think what it could be until I saw the Arabic writing on the side of the box.  I was amazed that the set had arrived so quickly, and hurriedly unpacked it to view the contents.



The nativity set now has pride of place in our front room.  What makes it different from other nativity sets is that between the stable scene (Mary, Joseph, the baby etc) and the wise men is a wall.  Poignantly, this represents the large so-called Separation Wall which currently surrounds the Bethlehem area.  Israel began building the barrier in 2002. When completed, it will be a 400-mile long network of high walls, electronic fences, gates and trenches.  It was created to separate Palestinians in the West Bank and Gaza from Israel so that they may not enter Israel without authorisation.  To some, it is a much needed security precaution; to others it is a sign of oppression and injustice.  I wanted to buy this particular nativity set, with its wall, to remind me every time I look at it of the needs of the people living in Bethlehem today.  It will ensure that my thoughts and prayers will remain with the inhabitants of the "little town of Bethlehem" who often struggle to experience the stillness and peace of which the famous carol speaks.



1 comment:

  1. hi Stephen, thanks for the blog, interesting as always. I pray with you, trusting that the wall, like the Berlin wall, will one day come down! Love Mary

    ReplyDelete