Sunday 6 April 2014

Coming and going: sabbatical reflections

I am approaching the final evening of my 3-month sabbatical.  The idea of sabbaticals is to provide a period away from regular work-related activity for refreshment and renewal.  As I look back over the last 3 months I am filled with gratitude for all that I have experienced.  Our trip to Singapore and New Zealand towards the beginning of my sabbatical gave us memories which will last a lifetime.  The sabbatical has allowed me time to read books which have envisioned and encouraged me, and given me a hunger to continue to discover more of the things of God.  Sue and I have spent time away on retreat, travelled to a few different places, and we have been able to spend valued time with various family members.  I have also spent periods away on my own, seeking time and space to focus on my personal relationship with God.

Indeed, at the heart of my aims for the sabbatical was desire to grow deeper in my relationship with God through his Holy Spirit.  As mentioned earlier, one of the ways in which I have sought to grow in understanding is though reading about the experiences of others.  I made some notes from my reading, and even re-reading my own notes causes excitement to rise in my heart!

Reflecting on what I have read and learnt over the last few months, one particular Bible verse stands out as being of particular significance:

Mark 3:14, 'Jesus appointed twelve that they might be with him and that he might send them out to preach.'

In that short verse lies the heart of what it is to be a follower of Jesus.  Firstly, he called the disciples to him.  He invites us into a relationship of love and trustGod created us to know him!  The call of Jesus is to put our whole lives into his hands: 'follow me' is his challenge.  So the first step in Christian discipleship is to answer Jesus' call to come to him.  When we respond in faith to his call he fills us with his Spirit.  The Holy Spirit lives in us and helps us to grow in the things of God.  But that is not the end of the story...

The Christian life is not some lovey-dovey warm fuzzy feeling!  Jesus called the disciples to him, but then he gave them authority and sent them out to proclaim and demonstrate the good news of God's kingdom.  We make a big mistake if we think that the Christian life is focussed on what we do in a church building.  Yes, the Christian life begins with our response to Jesus and our growing in relationship with him, but from that growing relationship we are given his authority and sent out into the world, in the love and power of God's Holy Spirit.  We carry with us the very presence of God.  We are called to make a real difference in the world because God lives in us.

We cannot expect to accomplish God's purposes for our lives unless we dedicate ourselves to spending time in his presence and seeking to grow in our relationship with him (the Christian life is at heart very simple: stay close to Jesus, listen to what he ways, then do it!)  But equally, unless we carry the fruit of that relationship with God out into our everyday lives we will never become the agents for transformation which is God's desire for us.

I have been a follower of Jesus for more than 50 years, but I know that I am very much still a learner.  My sabbatical has certainly increased my desire to learn much more, and to put my learning into practice!





No comments:

Post a Comment