Monday 14 April 2014

Even more important than football ...

Sue and I have been married for over 36 years, hard as it seems to believe.  Although we have had our ups and downs, and have experienced some rocky patches in our relationship, on the whole we have got along pretty well, and our partnership has grown and developed through the years.  I guess that both of us have had some sharp edges knocked off our characters and have become more rounded personalities who fit together fairly well.  We have grown in understanding and acceptance of each other's foibles, and have come to a common understanding in many areas of life.  There is one subject, however, on which, barring a miracle, we will never see eye-to-eye: football!

From as early as I remember I have loved the game of football, and especially my home town team, Hull City.  I cherish some very precious memories of a time in my young adulthood when I was a Hull City season ticket holder at their old Boothferry Park ground, along with my brother, my dad, and two uncles.  Maybe I look back through rose tinted spectacles, but those were wonderful times (even if the standard of football was often pretty rubbish!)  One memory which stands out from those days was when we played Manchester United in the Watney Cup, and the crowd cheered loudly whenever a City player got near enough to George Best to make a tackle!

Then in later years my daughter Steph and I were season ticket holders together for a few years as the club bade a tearful farewell to the much loved but sadly neglected Boothferry Park and moved to a brand new stadium.  From near oblivion the club began a remarkable rise through the leagues until we finally made it to the summit and the Premiership for the first time in the club's history.  Memories of a trip to Wembley to see City triumph in a dramatic Championship Play-off Final will stay with me forever (made even more special by the fact that I had also been at Wembley the previous day to see Doncaster Rovers, the team for which I was then chaplain, triumph in the League 1 Play-off Final!)  Remarkable years, great memories.

All our three children are football supporters (though, sadly, Caz and Chris have chosen to support Port Vale and Norwich respectively, rather than Hull City).  For more than 36 years I have tried to encourage Sue to take an interest in the game, with an utter lack of success.  I think it was in our courting days that I took her to a game at Elland Road, Leeds, at a time when Leeds were in their pomp.  When Leeds scored, the whole ground erupted.  Apart, that is, from Sue, who remained oblivious to events, and continued to sit on her seat concentrating on her knitting! I've come to accept, I think, that football is an interest which Sue and I will never share (I am just thankful that here are lots of other interests which we can share and enjoy together).

The current season promises to be the greatest ever in Hull City's 108 year history.  Not only does it look like the club have earned another year in the Premiership, but yesterday they beat Sheffield United in a dramatic game at Wembley to reach the F.A. Cup Final for the first time ever.  



I was not able to be at Wembley yesterday (as it turns out, perhaps my sabbatical ended a week too early, as yesterday I had church services to lead!)  Having said that, it was great to be back with the folk in my three churches yesterday, so I wasn't sad at missing the semi-final.  Looking ahead, I won't be able to attend the F.A. Cup Final either, as I am due to attend a Church Leaders' Away-Day.  In some ways I would have loved to have been there (there's every likelihood that this will be my first and only chance to see my team in an F.A. Cup Final)  And yet I know that there are some things in life which are a lot more important than football.

Even if I was given a free choice about how to spend the day on 17 May, I would chose to be part of the Away-Day.  I love my team, but I love my work much more, and ultimately I know that the work I do in God's service is of far greater significance than attending a football match, even the F.A. Cup Final.  And I have faith that the Tigers can beat the mighty Arsenal even without my support!


No comments:

Post a Comment