Monday 19 May 2014

Henry Lyte, Abide With Me, and the F.A. Cup Final



Saturday 17 May 2014 was a momentous day which will live long in the memories of all fans of Hull City Football Club.  Although the club was founded in 1904, it had never managed over all those years to reach an F.A. Cup Final – until this year!  As a life-long supporter of the team, I was disappointed not to be able to be at Wembley for the occasion, though I did watch the match live on TV.  It was a great match, full of emotion, which ultimately ended in what can be called “glorious defeat”.

I regularly receive e-mails and other comments from fellow City supporters, and I was fascinated by the fact that several mentioned the tradition (dating back to 1927) of singing “Abide with me” in the build-up to F.A. Cup Finals.  I wonder how many know the background to the famous hymn?

The writer was Henry Francis Lyte (1793-1847).  He did not have an easy life.  In his childhood, Henry’s father abandoned the family, and Henry’s loving mother passed away soon afterwards.  A kindly church minister named Robert Burrows took Henry in and put him through school.  Henry experienced ill-health for much of his life, though over the years he came to know people who inspired and deepened his own Christian faith.  He and his wife Anna pastored a church in Brixham, Devon, for over 20 years.  By careful management of household expenses, she saved enough money to send Henry to warmer France and Italy by himself every winter.

In 1844, Henry was diagnosed with Tuberculosis. Over the next 3 years his physical condition deteriorated until, finally, on September 4, 1847, at the age of 54, he stood in the pulpit for the last time to deliver his farewell message.   He reminded his hearers that we must all die, and that those who trust in Christ are prepared to face death. "I stand here among you today, as alive from the dead, if I may hope to impress it upon you, and induce you to prepare for that solemn hour which must come to all, by a timely acquaintance with the death of Christ."

That same afternoon, after taking a walk on the beach, Henry retired to his room. He emerged about an hour later with a written copy of Abide With Me. He left soon after for a trip to Italy, to get away from the cold, damp coastal weather.  A few days later, while resting in a hotel on the French Riviera, Henry went home to be with Jesus. A fellow clergyman who was with Henry during his final hours reported that Henry's last words were: “Peace! Joy!”

Abide With Me was put to music, and made its debut at Henry's memorial service.  Its timeless words still carry immense meaning for today.

Abide with me; fast falls the eventide;
the darkness deepens; Lord, with me abide.
When other helpers fail and comforts flee,
Help of the helpless, O abide with me.

Swift to its close ebbs out life's little day;
earth's joys grow dim; its glories pass away;
change and decay in all around I see;
O thou who changest not, abide with me.

I need thy presence every passing hour.
What but thy grace can foil the tempter's power?
Who, like thyself, my guide and stay can be?
Through cloud and sunshine, Lord, abide with me.

I fear no foe, with thee at hand to bless;
ills have no weight, and tears not bitterness.
Where is death's sting? Where, grave, thy victory?
I triumph still, if thou abide with me.

Hold thou thy cross before my closing eyes;
shine through the gloom and point me to the skies.
Heaven's morning breaks, and earth's vain shadows flee;
in life, in death, O Lord, abide with me.

I wonder what Henry Lyte would think of his hymn being sung at an F.A. Cup Final!  Perhaps he would hope and pray that those who were present would hear and comprehend the true significance of his words.

No comments:

Post a Comment