Tuesday 21 October 2014

Touched by the past

I have been a big fan of Doctor Who ever since the series was first shown on BBC TV back in the mid-60s.  When it was my 40th birthday (not all that long ago!), Sue presented me with a Tardis.  One of our church members was very gifted at making things, and Sue asked him to create a Tardis for me.  It was one of the best birthday presents I've ever had, but although I really appreciate having my own Tardis, sadly it doesn't enable me to travel in space and time!

I've often thought how wonderful it would be to be able to travel back in time and witness first-hand how things were in days gone by.  Over the years I have developed something of a fascination with the past.  Obviously I am never going to be able to travel back in time in the way in which Doctor Who can.  Nevertheless, there is a sense in which one can make a connection with a bygone era, and that is through objects from the past. One of my favourite hobbies is browsing antique shops and antiquarian bookshops.  When I hold an object in my hand which could be several hundred years old, there is a kind of connection, and I wonder, sometimes, what stories that object might relate if it could speak.

In readiness for our forthcoming house move, I have been sorting through some of my old books.  I must admit that I have been rather surprised at how many books I have collected over the years, and have managed to full several boxes in readiness for a trip to a charity shop!  One book in particular took my attention (which I plan to hang on to for the time being).  It is a book which was written at the beginning of the last century, called "Under The King's Banner", subtitled "Stories of the Soldiers of Christ in All Ages."  It relates many accounts of how, through the centuries, followers of Jesus have remained faithful to him, despite the subsequent great cost which many have paid (sometimes with their lives).  It's not a particularly valuable book in financial terms, but there is something unique about it which intrigued me.

Inside the book is a Sunday School presentation label, dated 1912, to a boy called Alex Workman.  The book was perhaps given at an annual Sunday School prize-giving.  As I examined the book further, I came across a poignant and moving hand-written message from Alex's mother, dated 1918.  The message is to a friend of Alex as "a parting gift".  Mrs Workman writes of Alex that he:

 '...laid down his life in the great Battle of 1914-1918; his dear body is laid to rest somewhere in France but his soul has returned to God who gave it.  Let us all try to meet him again.'

Out of what must have been a time of desperate sadness, a bereaved mother found time to think of her son's friend.  I hope that the friend treasured the book.  What's more, I hope that he took on board the message from his friend's mother.   For all of us, the reality is that one day our earthly life will come to an end.  But the good news is, as Mrs Workman knew, that if our faith is in Jesus Christ our eternal destiny is secure.  The past may be fascinating, but the future is glorious for those who follow Jesus!

 



No comments:

Post a Comment