Wednesday 8 February 2017

What's your taste?

Last Saturday, Sue and I attended an event called a "Re-imagine Church Forum."  People from around the district gathered together to think about how we do church.  The traditional ways of doing church, perhaps particularly in respect of Sunday services, are from a former generation.  The sands of time have shifted dramatically, even in my lifetime (and, of course, I'm still relatively young!!)   Many who regularly attend church are content with the way we traditionally do church, because it's what they've become used to.  But the truth is that our traditional way of doing church is rarely what connects easily with the majority of people in the second decade of the 21st century.  So how do we need to adapt (not the message, but the way we communicate it)?  That was the theme of the Forum.  It was a fascinating day, and good to meet with others who are wrestling with this very same question.

Although I was looking forward to the day, and recognised the importance of the subject under discussion, I must admit that one of the personal attractions for me was the offer of a free lunch!  The folk from Daventry Methodist Church did a great job in providing us with an excellent buffet lunch.  As I was sitting after lunch, talking with others on my table, I noticed that a few items of food remained after everyone had taken what they wanted.  One of the ladies from the church invited anyone who wanted to, to help themselves.  I wandered over and noticed that there was a coconut and apricot slice still available.  It looked extremely tempting, but it presented me with something of a dilemma.

The problem was that although I really like coconut, I can't stand apricot.  Which would win in the battle of the tastes?  Should I risk being disappointed?  In the end my stomach won the battle with my brain, and I took the slice back to the table, looking forward to the taste of coconut.  What a disastrous error of judgement; the horrible (to me) taste of apricot totally drowned out the coconut!  Although Sue likes apricot and dislikes coconut (they do say opposites attract), she refused my offer of giving the remainder of the slice to her.  I lived to regret my choice.

I told the story of the coconut and apricot slice during my sermon last Sunday.  We were looking at a passage where Paul writes about the new life we live in Christ.  In other words, when we commit our lives to following Jesus, the Holy Spirit begins a work in us to mould and shape is into the image of Christ.  Paul uses the illustration of taking off the old clothes (which belonged to the former way of life), and putting on the new clothes, befitting a follower of Jesus.  He gives some examples, 'Do not use harmful words, but only helpful words, the kind that build up and provide what is needed, so that what you say will do good to those who hear you. Get rid of all bitterness, passion, and anger. No more shouting or insults, no more hateful feelings of any sort. Instead, be kind and tender-hearted to one another, and forgive one another, as God has forgiven you through Christ.'

Of course it's not always easy to wear 'the right clothes' and sometimes we slip into old habits.  Paul himself writes elsewhere about this struggle in his own life.  I think that after last Saturday's experience, I might use the illustration not of the right and wrong clothes, but of apricot and coconut tastes.  My prayer is that I in my daily life I might be much more coconut than apricot, but of course that won't be a useful illustration for some.  I know that God's desire for all who follow Christ is that as we grow and mature in the Christian life we will became more like Jesus.  I know I've a long way to go, but I hope that the coconut wins!





No comments:

Post a Comment