Monday 17 July 2017

Cherish them while you can

Sue and I spent last weekend in Doncaster.  I had been invited to lead the Church Anniversary services at Priory Place Methodist Church, a church of which I was privileged to be Minister for 12 years.  I must admit to having been a little nervous about going back, not least because it had been 5 years since I had last taken a service there.  However, once I arrived and began to see familiar faces it didn't take long for the nerves to disappear and for me to feel very much at home.  Sue and I thoroughly enjoyed our time at Priory; it was great to have the opportunity to renew friendships with those we hadn't seen for some time.

Priory is a large church building, situation in the town centre of Doncaster.  In the late 1970s the building, which was opened in 1833, was redeveloped.  It was formerly a typical large 19th century Methodist church with a balcony.  During the redevelopment, the building was divided in two, creating a sanctuary area at first floor level.  Comfortable seating is provided in a horseshoe shape.  I have always liked the layout of the sanctuary area because it enables the worshipping congregation to see each other, rather than sitting in rows (looking at the back of other people's heads!) which is the case in most church buildings.

This also means, of course that the preacher has a good view of the congregation.  The interesting thing for me yesterday, as I stood at the front of the church, was that as I looked out at the faces of those who were present at the two services, I could also 'see' in my mind's eye (imagination) the faces of many other people who had been regular worshippers during my time as Minister of the church, but who are no longer alive.  Though my time as Minister of Priory wasn't by any means always plain sailing, I cherish some very special memories from those years, and of some wonderful Priory people who I got to know.

Life is often described as a journey.  None of us knows how long the journey of our earthly life will last, nor exactly where it might lead.  Along each section of our life's journey will be those who travel with us; some for many years and others, perhaps, just for a short time.  What I was reminded of during my time at Priory this weekend was how much we should value our friends and loved ones while we have them, and cherish each opportunity to spend time with them.  We don't know how long we have them for. Over the years, God has blessed me with many wonderful friends and an amazing family.  I'm not sure that I've always valued them as much as I should have done.  Sadly, it's sometimes only when someone is no longer around that we truly understand how much they have meant to us.

I am determined to try and value those who are part of my life's journey while I walk with them, and to cherish each and every friendship.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment