Tuesday 25 July 2017

hello gorgeous!

In these days of electronic communication, we tend to receive far less mail through our letter box than we used to.  We do, however, still receive our fair share of leaflets and flyers.  One which landed on our doormat recently stated in bold pink letters, "hello gorgeous" and in smaller letters underneath, "live happy! with Slimming World."  I suppose that the underlying message is that if we make the effort (with Slimming World's help?) to get our body into shape, and manage to look "gorgeous" then we will be able to live happier life.  But is that really true?

I must confess that I could certainly do to lose a few pounds, and I know people who have told me that losing some weight has been of real benefit to them, both physically and mentally.  On the other hand, there is a danger that we focus too much on our outward appearance, and worry over much about how other people may see us.  We could get sucked into the thankless task of chasing after the perfect body image (whatever that is!)

So, what do you see when you look in a mirror?  The most obvious answer is that we see our physical body.  But sometimes, when we look beyond our mere outward appearance, we can see something of what lies in our heart.  And that's where we need to look if we are to see our true selves, because who we really are is not defined by our outward appearance.  Just as we may not always like what we see when we look at our outward appearance, so we may not be all that positive when we see what lies within.

There are times when I look back over my life and have real regrets that there have been occasions when I haven't been what I should have been. I haven't always been the husband my wife deserves, or the father my children deserve; I haven't always been a great son, brother, friend, colleague or church leader.  Sometimes my many failures seem to pile up in front of me, at times hanging like a dark cloud over my life, as they reveal something of my inner self.

I am so glad that the message of the gospel is that we need to recognise our own weaknesses in order that we can truly acknowledge our need of God.  As Paul puts it, 'The Lord said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.’ Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong' (2 Corinthians 12.9&10)

I may have made many mistakes on the way, but I am forgiven and embraced by the love and grace of Jesus.  I may not yet be all that I should be, but in his strength I am determine to continue to grow in my life as a follower of Jesus.  Once again using the words of Paul: 'I do not claim that I have already succeeded or have already become perfect. I keep striving to win the prize for which Christ Jesus has already won me to himself. Of course, my friends, I really do not think that I have already won it; the one thing I do, however, is to forget what is behind me and do my best to reach what is ahead. So I run straight toward the goal in order to win the prize, which is God's call through Christ Jesus to the life above' (Philippians 3.12-14).








No comments:

Post a Comment