Thursday 18 July 2019

Fitness tracker


Some time last year I came to the realisation that my fitness levels had dropped significantly, and I determined to do something about it.  I downloaded the “Couch to 5k” app onto my phone and, despite having a few aches and pains along the way, through using the app I slowly built up my fitness.  I had heard about the Parkrun scheme, whereby volunteers organise timed 5K runs each Saturday morning in many places around the country.  Having got into the routine of regularly going out for an early morning jog three times per week, I decided to go along to my local Parkrun one Saturday morning.  Despite it being a very warm day, I managed the course.  I went back a couple of weeks later and shaved a minute off my previous time!

I fully intended carrying on my morning jogging and taking part in the Saturday Parkruns.  However, I developed a nagging pain in one of my knees, which seemed to be aggravated by the jogging.   Being rather concerned that by continuing the jogging I might suffer some permanent damage, I reluctantly decided to bring a premature end to my jogging career.  I was then left with the question as to how to address the danger of returning to a poor level of fitness.

I decided to invest in a fitness tracker, and managed to buy one relatively cheaply.  Although it has a number of functions, its main purpose is to count how many steps I take each day.  I initially set the target at 10,000 each day, which equates to around 4.5 miles.  I have no idea how accurate the gadget is, but it is certainly encouraging me to walk more (especially as it tells me how many calories I will have burned off!)  If I get towards the end of the day and find myself short of my target, I go out and walk round the garden until the target is reached.  It’s as good as a dog in getting me out walking, but has the benefits over a dog of not pooing, not needing feeding and not causing any vet bills!

In some of Paul's letters in the New Testament he compares the benefits of physical exercise with the need to exercise spiritually.  In that regard, I have been tremendously helped by using the ‘Bible in One Year’ app.  Each morning, I listen to passages from the Old and New Testaments (read by actor David Suchet), with commentary from Nicky Gumbel.  In fact, since I’ve had my fitness tracker I’ve walked as I listen instead of simply sitting down.  We can easily neglect the need for physical exercise, but perhaps even more so the need for spiritual exercise.  Both are important, and both are good for us.  

As I write this, I note that I’ve only done 5,000 steps so far today, so I’d better think about when I can get the other half of my daily target accomplished!

No comments:

Post a Comment