Friday 20 May 2011

One of the greatest privileges a person can experience in life is to be a parent. Being a parent is also one of the most daunting responsibilities a person can face! Sue and I have been blessed to have three wonderful child who, despite our failings as parents, have turned out to be young adults of whom we are very proud.

Looking the other way through the family line, I feel very blessed, also, with the family into which I was born. Dad died in 1991. There are still moments when I feel his loss deeply. He was a quiet man, but someone who was greatly admired for his strength of character.


Mum lives in sheltered accommodation near Chesterfield. My eldest sister lives nearby, and does a great job keeping a watchful eye over Mum. Although I don't see Mum all that often, I do speak to her very regularly on the phone. I was reflecting recently that I can't think of many people I have known over the years who were so utterly content with life as my Mum.
Very often during our phone calls she tells me how content she is. "My faith and my family are the what matters to me" is one of her favourite sayings. Mum is not very confident with her walking, and she doesn't get out a great deal, yet she is so very happy with life. Her strong Christian faith, and the love and support of her family, are the two key elements which give her real joy and contentment. I am sure that if it were possible to bottle a little of Mum's contentment it would sell for a fortune!

The apostle Paul wrote to his young protege Timothy,
'godliness with contentment is great gain.' In another of his letters he wrote, 'I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.' There are, no doubt, many people who have great riches in terms of what this world can offer, yet lack true contentment with life. Paul knew that true contentment doesn't really come from outward circumstances, or material possessions, but from the knowledge and experience of God's love in Christ. My Mum knows it, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment