Saturday 14 May 2011

Tempus fugit

56 years ago yesterday, I was born! My Mum has told me many times that my birth was the cause of great rejoicing in the little village where my family lived. The news soon spread, "The Clarks have got a boy!" I have four elder sisters, and I think my parents had more or less decided that it was going to be their lot in life to raise a family of girls. Perhaps they decided to have another go, one last time. I'm glad they did! (Not sure what happened when my little brother was born around six years later!)

Some people don't like birthdays, especially as the years pass. I find that birthdays give me cause for a little reflection on my life so far. It has given me the opportunity to pause and give thanks to God for the tremendous blessings he has poured into my life in so many ways. I have a fantastic family, some great friends, a job I love, and the knowledge that God loves me and has a purpose for my life. Yes, I've experienced some tough times over the years, and my life isn't always a bed of roses, but I thank God for so much. I remember from childhood an old chorus which said "count your blessings" and that's certainly what I try to do.

I can never remember a time when God wasn't a big part of my life. I was only 5 years old when I first made a conscious decision to commit my life to Jesus, and I know that there has never been a single moment since then that he has abandoned me (even during the times when I did not acknowledge his presence). But I also know that there have been many times when I have failed him, and said or done things which have hurt God and other people. There have been lots of things in my life which I have regretted. Yet I rejoice that God is a God of grace, who offers forgiveness through Jesus. And I am constantly amazed by his love and grace even for me!


As I look back with thanksgiving, so I look to the future with confidence; who knows what God has in store for me!

1 comment:

  1. I like your honesty and challenge, as a Christian it is never easy.

    ReplyDelete