Tuesday 26 June 2012

Passing on the flame

It was a big day in Doncaster today, as the Olympic torch made its way through the town.  Unusually, for recent days, the sun was shining, as a large number of people lined the streets of the town centre to await the arrival of the torch.  There was a great deal of excited chatter and a festival atmosphere, with strangers excitedly conversing as the time drew near.

I must be honest and say that I did have slightly mixed emotions.  One of my sisters nominated me to be a torch bearer, but although I got through the first stage of the process I wasn't eventually selected.  I realise, of course, that there were many more worthy people than me who were chosen to carry the torch, but I still felt a tinge of disappointment that I wasn't amongst the selected few!  It must have been an amazing and unforgettable experience for the people who were chosen to carry the torch (and I am a bit surprised that so many have decided to offer their torches for sale on eBay!)

Those of you who have witnessed the torch relay will know what the experience is like.  You spend a long time waiting in anticipation, straining to hear or see any signs of the torch-bearer.  Then along come several police outriders, then an array of large vehicles (sponsors vehicles etc), then eventually the runner comes along and is gone past before you know it.  Someone commented, 'the build-up is better than the actual torch!'

It seems rather strange to me that each runner has their own torch.  I (perhaps rather naively) imagined that there would be just one torch which would be handed on from runner to runner, rather like a baton in a relay race.  In fact, it is the flame and not the torch which is passed on.  The passing on of the flame from one torch to another seems to me to be symbolic, and a vivid reminder, of what lies at the heart of being a Christian disciple.



When we come to know Jesus, and our hearts are filled with the fire and love of his Spirit, then we are called to be carriers of the flame to others.  The truth is that everything that God gives to us is for us to give away!  How sad it is that we Christians sometimes seem so reluctant to pass on the blessings with which God has blessed us.

Jesus started with just 12 disciples.  Now there are someting like 2 billion Christians in the world.  All because people were set on fire with passion for Jesus and allowed that passion to spread!  In many countries in the world, the number of Christians is growing rapidly.  My prayer is that as the Olympic flame continues its journey round the UK, the fire in the hearts of UK Christians will be rekindled, so that the flames might spread and bless our nation.  In the words of William Booth, "send the fire today!"



1 comment:

  1. Thats what we need the work and ministry of the
    Holy Spirit.

    ReplyDelete