Wednesday 13 June 2012

What Jesus really meant

I have been reminded recently how sometimes God speaks through life events in a way which gives a clearer insight into passages from the Bible.  In this case, he spoke to me through events surrounding the birth of my second grandchild (first granddaughter) Beth.

Beth was born two weeks ago today.  I was hoping that she would be born in May, like her granddad.  She left it rather late, arriving at around 10.30pm on 31 May, but she and I now share our birth month!  We received a text message from our daughter, Steph, early in the morning to say that things were happening.  It seemed like a very long day indeed before we eventually received the news that we had a granddaughter.  Tears of joy flowed!

Beth was born at home, but because Steph was not too well afterwards, it was decided to take her and Beth into hospital to keep an eye on them overnight.  Matt, Steph's husband, was planning to go in with them.  Unfortunately their front door key became stuck in the door, and they weren't able to lock the door.  Sue and I jumped in the car and went round to their house.  Sue stayed to look after the house while I took Matt in the car to the hospital.  

By the time we arrived at the hospital it was the early hours of the morning.  We managed to get into the hospital, and Matt spoke to the receptionist, explaining that his wife and baby had recently been admitted.  The receptionist then looked at me and asked Matt, "and who is this gentleman with you?"  I told her that I was Steph's dad.  She responded by saying that it was OK for Matt to go up to the ward, but I was not allowed to go with him.  Dads were allowed, but not granddads.  The reality suddenly hit me that Steph's parents (Sue and me) were no longer number one in her life!  (We eventually did see Beth later in the day, and she was certainly worth waiting for).

As I have been pondering on that experience, into my mind came some words of Jesus which, on the face of it, seem to be very hard to understand.  In Luke 14:25, Jesus says,  ‘If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters – yes, even their own life – such a person cannot be my disciple.'  Is Jesus really saying that we are to hate our families?  Obviously not, as on several occasions he calls his disciples to 'love one another' , an instruction which is repeated in the rest of the New Testament.

My experience as Beth's granddad has, I think, led me to a greater understanding of what Jesus really meant.  Now that Steph is a wife and a mother, her first priority, and strongest love, is to her husband and daughter.  That doesn't mean that she loves her parents or siblings any less, it simply means that her priorities have changed.  I believe that Jesus was saying that if we are to be his disciples, than he must become our first priority, the one we love the most.

It doesn't mean that we love our human family and friends less; in fact, as we allow God's love to fill us more and more, we will find an even greater love for others flowing from our hearts.  To be truly a disciple of Jesus, he must be first in our lives.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment