Friday 23 October 2009

Communication is the key

When I started this blog a few months ago, I intended to do my best to update it approximately one each week. I have more or less kept to the schedule, apart from the period when I had my fortnight's summer holiday. Usually when it is time to sit down to write the blog, some subject comes to mind. This time, however, I have been waiting for a couple of days for the inspiration!

Tomorrow I am due to take a wedding. Generally I really enjoy taking weddings; it is a great privilege to lead a service in which a couple willingly exchange vows and make what amounts to one of the biggest commitments a person can make in life.

Yet, as anyone who has experienced marriage knows, it's one thing to make the vows, and sometimes quite another to keep them! There are several ingredients which go towards making a successful marriage, and one of the most important is good communication. Taking time to communicate, to be open and honest, and to genuinely listen is so important in any relationship, but especially in marriage. One article on the subject suggested that, “Most couples engage in meaningful conversation less than 15 minutes per week.” No wonder that this can lead to major problems!

A few weeks ago my brother moved to New Zealand. With modern communication methods, it doesn't so far seem much different from when he was in Liverpool; we can still communicate regularly through email and facebook etc. Yet it's ironic that in the modern communication age, we human beings still seem to have so much to learn when it comes to personal, face to face, communication. The current round of industrial strife suggests that management and unions alike could do better with their communication.

Of course, communication is two-way. At our Alpha course this week the subject was prayer. What a privilege we have been given in the gift of prayer. At any time and in any place we can offer our prayers to God, knowing that he listens to us. But prayer, also, is two-way. We need to give times in our prayers when we shut up and allow God to speak. I constantly ask God to help me be a better listener. Come to think of it, my wife would probably say “amen” to that!

No comments:

Post a Comment