Thursday 8 October 2009

Look what I found!

Sue and I recently had the opportunity to visit an Antique and Collectors' Fair at the Lincolnshire Showground. I love to look at items from a bygone era; I often wonder what tales they could tell if only they could speak! I particularly enjoy browsing stalls which have lots of small and interesting items.

On one stall I came across a very unusual old wedding greeting card. Although it was rather worn and grubby, I found it fascinating, and as it was only 50p I decided to buy it! It appears to have been handpainted. On the back is written "From your workmates at Lewis' all the best on your forthcoming wedding". The front of the card states "The undermentioned wish Miss E Jones the Best of Health and Every Happiness". Then are listed over 40 names. There is also an image of what I take to be the department store where Miss Jones and her colleagues worked. I assume that this is the famous Lewis' store in Liverpool.

I'll probably end up listing it on eBay, but the attraction to me is not in its monetary value. It raised all sorts of questions in my mind. Who was Miss E Jones? Did she have a long and happy marriage? Is she is alive, and if not, did she leave children? I find it a little sad that this item, which Miss Jones must surely have treasured, ended up in a tatty old box along with lots of other items at a collectors' fair. I'll almost certainly never find out the answers to my questions. But one thing I am sure of – God knows. God loved Miss Jones, and my hope and prayer is that she knew and loved him.

Most of us live fairly ordinary lives. We will never hit the headlines, and never become a celebrity. But we can still be assured that we are known and loved by God.

As I said, I'll probably never find out if Miss Jones had a happy marriage. But I did read this week of the death of Frank Milford, who died recently at the age of 101. As he died he was holding the hand of his dear wife, Anita, also aged 101. They celebrated their 81st wedding anniversary in June and, at the time, were Britain's longest married couple. They said that the secret to their long marriage was 'give and take' and making up after rows with a kiss and a cuddle. Not bad advice!

No comments:

Post a Comment